On-Ramp is an accelerator for Indiana creative entrepreneurs.
It's built for creatives who are looking to rev up their business thinking, whether they are starting something new, looking to deepen their business understanding or at a professional crossroads. On-Ramp will give you new connections, a plan, coaching, and access to special funds to make it happen.
- The Course: A three-day intensive business skills and entrepreneurship training course.
- The Certificate: Proof to investors that you're ready to make things happen.
- The Coaching: One-on-one coaching with an arts business pro.
You'll be on site in Madison, Indiana for an intense three days of planning, business skills, and community engagement learning. The course will help you chart your course as a successful creative entrepreneur in your community. During these three days, Elaine Grogan Luttrull will lead you through exercises to deeply understand:
- What do you do well?
- Whom do you serve?
- What do you need?
- What does it cost?
- How you do monetize it?
- Talking the talk.
In the three days with your cohorts, you'll build relationships with other energetic and visionary creative entrepreneurs from around the state. We've planned a full weekend to get to know each other and stir up some new ideas. We've even recruited other successful Indiana creative entrepreneurs to meet you and give advice.
This course is limited to approximately 35 participants.
After you complete the 3-day course, you'll earn the On-Ramp Creative Entrepreneur Course Certificate of Completion, and you'll be eligible for the On-Ramp Fellowship. This certification makes you a stronger creative entrepreneur, but also demonstrates your knowledge and skills to other potential supporters or partners. Makerspaces, funders, residencies, fellowships and other future opportunities will be more confident in your ability to follow through on meaningful creative work.
“As a makerspace, this tangible certificate helps us know that makers looking to access our resources have this kind of business training and commitment to working hard and growing.”
– Consuelo Poland, RUCKUS Makerspace
After you've completed the weekend in Madison, we'll help you process what you learned. You'll schedule a one-on-one phone coaching session with Elaine. (Read about Elaine here.) She'll hold you accountable to your next steps, offer feedback on your plan, answer any extra questions you might have, and keep you moving, including your application for the On-Ramp Fellowship.
The On-Ramp Fellowship is a pilot funding opportunity to take what you've just learned in the On-Ramp Creative Entrepreneur Course and put it to use for your career development. Request up to $2,000 for a project during the fellowship period.
Is On-Ramp for me?
- You're starting out: Up to 3 years of experience. Still getting your bearings after graduating? You’ll learn the business concepts to become familiar with as you develop your sustaining work as an artist. You might flesh out an idea you have cooking, or find new ways to get support in Indiana. You'll meet people who are energetic, who have been through this before, and who you can call on for years to come.
- You're practiced: 3-7 years of work. You've been doing this with any level of success now for a few years. How can you amp up what you've got going? You'll learn how to be more strategic with your work. You might identify something specific to move the needle in your success. Sharing your experience will be helpful for other people in the room, and you may make a connection for collaboration or mentoring.
- You're seasoned: More than 7 years of work. You may find this workshop covers much of what you already know. Check out the Individual Advancement Program for career development support for artists, or contact us if you'd like to talk through your specific questions.
Part of a collaboration? Your partners should apply too! This is a perfect opportunity for your team to build out the idea together.
Your travel to and from Madison, Indiana.* You put down a $100 deposit as a commitment, but we'll refund it when you've completed the course. We've got everything else covered, including your meals in Madison and your stay at Clifty Inn May 18–20, 2018. (Thank you, Indiana General Assembly and National Endowment for the Arts!)
*(Need to find a ride? We can help.)
|Submit your application online||March 1, 2018, 4:30 p.m. eastern time|
|Participants selected||Late March 2018|
|$100 deposit due||April 2018|
|On-Ramp Creative Entrepreneur Course||May 18–20, 2018|
|One-on-one coaching||Late May 2018|
|Fellowship application due||May 30, 2018|
|Fellowship project funding||July 2018 – June 2019|
|Reunion at Indiana Arts Homecoming||October 2018|
Submit a short application through our online system by March 1, 2018. As part of this application, you'll need a reference. This could be a teacher, mentor, colleague or someone who knows your work well.