- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Plates and Registrations Plates and Registrations

Renew your registrations online and/or order your plates and you will receive them in 14 days.

  • Renew your license plates online
    NOTE: If your renewal requires a special paper form, such as the examples below, you must renew by mail or at any license branch.
  • Low-digit special group authorization
  • Form 2290
  • Department of Revenue Fuel Tax Permit

Have you recently renewed a license plate? Track your renewed registration as it is processed and mailed to you.

If you have lost your registration, you can order and print a replacement registration online.

Individuals or companies involved in commercial interstate transportation, that meet certain criteria, may be eligible for the International Registration Plan (IRP). The IRP allows registered carriers to obtain one plate and registration cab card to travel in multiple states at specific weights.  The program is managed by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR).

Register A New Vehicle

If you have purchased a vehicle within the last 45 days and the title application has been submitted to the BMV, you may register your new vehicle online. If your vehicle was purchased more than 45 days ago, you need to visit a license branch.

Indiana's License Plates

You may choose from a variety of license plate designs, including Indiana's standard and historic plates, plates supporting military personnel and their families, plates benefiting local schools or organizations, personalized plates, and plates for specific types of vehicles.

Vehicle Emissions Testing

Vehicles registered in Lake and Porter counties are required to undergo emissions tests and tampering inspections every two years from 1976 and newer passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 9,000 pounds or less.

Non-Miscalculation Related Excise Tax Refunds

Off-Road Vehicles

Department of Revenue Base Plate Registrations

Companies who have twenty-five (25) or more Truck registrations with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GWVR) of 26,001 lb. or more must register those vehicles with Department of Revenue (DOR) Motor Carrier Services (MCS). Any company who qualifies as a DOR Carrier, must also register the following vehicle types with DOR:

  • Trailer – 5,000 lb. or more
  • Commercial Buses
  • Semi-Trailers
  • Semi-Tractors

Contact the BMV to find out more information about the Base Plate Registration Program.