All off-road vehicles (ORV) and snowmobiles operated in Indiana must be registered with the BMV and display valid ORV or snowmobile decals unless otherwise exempt.
ORVs or snowmobiles are exempt from obtaining an Indiana registration if the following apply:
- It is exclusively operated for a special event with limited duration and conducted according to a prearranged schedule under a permit from the governmental unit having jurisdiction.
- It is registered in another state or country, and being operated by a nonresident of Indiana for a period not to exceed 20 days in one year.
- It is being operated for purposes of testing or demonstration, and dealer certificate numbers have been placed.
- It is owned or leased, and used for official business by the state, a municipal corporation, a volunteer fire department, the United States government, or an agency of the United States government.
- It is operated by a person who possesses a bill of sale from a dealer or private individual which is no more than 45 days old and includes the following information:
- Purchaser’s name and address
- Date of purchase
- Make, Model, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the ORV or snowmobile.
To apply for a certificate of registration, you must provide proof of ownership. If you do not have a certificate of title, you may complete and affirm ownership on an Off-Road Vehicle / Snowmobile Ownership Affidavit – State Form 52827 if you meet any of the following criteria:
- The registration is for an ORV that is not required to be titled.
- The registration is for a snowmobile.
The BMV issues a certificate of registration and two decals for each ORV and snowmobile registration. The certificate of registration must accompany the ORV or snowmobile and be made available for inspection upon demand by a police officer. The decals contain the ORV’s or snowmobile’s registration number and expiration date and must be attached on the forward half of the ORV or snowmobile.
- The BMV will not issue a license plate regardless of modifications, such as turn signals or windshield wipers added to the vehicle.
ORV and snowmobile registrations must be renewed every three years on or before your scheduled expiration date.
An application for a new, renew, or duplicate registration for an ORV or snowmobile may be purchased at any BMV branch.
You will receive your Certificate of Registration and decal within 14 days.
Operation of ORVs and Snowmobiles
Operation of properly registered ORVs and snowmobiles is permitted on Indiana public property where authorized by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), roadways where authorized by the county highway department, and on private property with the consent of the landowner.
Operation of an ORV or snowmobile on a highway is not permitted.
DEALER ORV AND SNOWMOBILE REGISTRATIONS
A licensed dealer is required to have a valid certificate of registration for off-road vehicles (ORV) or snowmobiles used for demonstration and testing purposes only, pursuant to IC 9-18.1-14-9.
Dealer applications for registration of an ORV or snowmobile are processed by the BMV Central Office. The Dealer Off-Road Vehicle/Snowmobile Registration Application Packet provides a detailed list of the documents required to be submitted with the application. Prior to submitting each application, verify that all required information is included.