- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Commercial Driver's License Commercial Driver's License

CDL Self-Certification

As of 2014, all Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) holders who did not self-certify their driving type were disqualified for Failure to Self-Certify. Federal regulation requires CDL holders to certify to the BMV the type of commercial motor vehicles that they operate, or intend to operate, as well as acknowledge that they are required to meet the medical requirements for that CDL.

To close this disqualification, you must self-certify your driving type or surrender your CDL. You may self-certify on or during a CDL or Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) transaction at a branch.

If you need to self-certify, please click here. Self-certifying online is free and easy. You will need to create a myBMV account if you do not already have one. After accessing your account, click “my Driver Records,” then click on "CDL Self-Certify Driver Type" in the left column and answer the questions. After answering the questions, place a checkmark in the "swear or affirm" box and then click "save". You may also self-certify during a CLP/CDL renewal, amend or replacement branch transaction.

If you have questions about the self-certification process, please review these answers to frequently asked questions.

Indiana Commercial Driver's License

An Indiana CDL allows the holder to operate commercial motor vehicles or combinations of vehicles with declared gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 26,000 pounds; vehicles designed or used to transport 16 or more people, including the driver; and vehicles used to transport hazardous materials.

In general, CDL requirements are stricter than any other Indiana driver's license and are based upon stringent Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations. To get a CDL you must be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident and be at least 18-years-old, if you will be transporting property within state lines, or at least 21-years-old if you will be transporting people. You must have held a valid driver's license for at least one year. You must also hold a CDL learner's permit.

Getting a Commercial Driver's License

Knowledge and Skills Examinations

To obtain a CDL in Indiana, you must pass a knowledge exam and a CDL skills exam in a vehicle representative of the class of CDL that you will receive. The CDL skills exam must be taken at a BMV authorized examination site and consists of a pre-trip inspection exam, a basic control skills exam, and the road trip exam. Authorized examination sites electronically transmit the skills exam results to the BMV to increase security and accuracy.

The CLP, all knowledge exams and CDL skills exams are valid for 180 days. Renewal of a CLP may require retaking the knowledge exam(s).

The revised Commercial Driver’s License Manual, 2005 CDL Testing System (July 2014) will replace the current Indiana CDL Manual, Skills and Knowledge SP 283 (R10 9/13). 

Medical Examination

When applying for your first CDL or CLP in Indiana, you must provide a valid Medical Examination Report (MER) and Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC). To maintain a valid CLP or CDL, you must provide a valid MER and MEC prior to the expiration of your current MER and MEC on file with the BMV.

Is your medical examiner certified to administer a CDL medical examination?

The BMV ONLY accepts the “Medical Examination Report and Medical Examiner’s Certificate” completed by a medical examiner certified by the FMCSA National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.

For information on the FMCSA National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners, visit: National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners Rules and Regulations

Beginning April 20, 2016 the current FMCSA approved “Medical Examination Report (MER) Form, MCSA-5875 and Medical Examiner's Certificate (MEC) Form, MCSA-5876” provided to you by the FMCSA Certified Medical Examiner must be provided to the BMV for updating your medical status. Failure to provide these documents will result in the medical status of “Not Certified” and the downgrade of any CLP or CDL to base license privileges only.

Indiana applicants must provide both the MER and MEC.

For further information on the medical requirements please visit the FMCSA National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners or Resources for Drivers on the FMCSA website:

Use one of the following options to submit the completed MER and MEC:

  • Fax to 317-974-1613
  • Submit document to any BMV branch
  • Mail to:
    Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
    Attn: CDL Programs
    100 N Senate Ave
    IGCN, Room N 481
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

Important: If you have questions regarding your MER and MEC or want to know the status of your MER and MEC, please view your Driver Record using your myBMV account or contact the BMV at 888-692-6841, option number three (3). These services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

For medical information and federal applications, visit the FMCSA website. There is information on a variety of medical topics, such as the insulin or vision exemption and skills performance evaluation.

Documents of identification

You must be either a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident to apply for a CLP or CDL, per 49 CFR 383.71. For further information on this requirement, please visit Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

When you apply for a CLP or CDL you must present documents of identification proving your identity, lawful status, Social Security number, and Indiana residency.

Truck Driver Training Schools

The BMV coordinates the licensing and oversight of all driver education schools and instructors. Whether you are interested in driver training programs, Ride Safe Indiana (RSI)-authorized motorcycle operator safety education course or truck driver training courses, you can now find information on all of these areas on Select the appropriate link(s) to find the specific driver training information that you need.

Driver Education Provider and Instructor Resources

For information and questions regarding truck driver training schools and instructor licensing please contact the CDL Programs department by email at

Transferring a CDL From Out of State

The BMV will conduct a driver record search using the Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS) for all license holders transferring to Indiana from another state. If your CDLIS Pointer (Driver History) from your prior state of record is not available, or your CDLIS Pointer is incomplete, there will be a delay in processing your application for a license in the State of Indiana.

The BMV will contact the licensing officials in the state(s) where the license was previously held to complete this process. When the BMV has received the required information, the applicant will be contacted by the BMV to return to the license branch to complete processing.

You must meet all requirements to transfer a base license and pass the general knowledge written exams to transfer a CDL to Indiana. If you have a hazardous materials endorsement on your current CDL you will be required to pass that knowledge exam and have acceptable threat assessment approval to be issued the endorsement on an Indiana license.

Renewing or Replacing a CDL

A CDL issued in Indiana is valid for four years. You may renew your CDL at any Indiana license branch up to one year before the license expires.

To replace a CDL, you will need to visit any Indiana license branch and present certain documents of identification.

Re-Applying For a CDL

If you voluntarily surrender or relinquish your CDL and would like to re-apply for commercial driving privileges after one year, you must obtain a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), pass all necessary knowledge exams and CDL skills exams, and provide a valid Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination (medical examination) and Medical Examiner’s Certificate unless a valid medical examination and medical examiner’s certificate is already on file with the BMV.

Military CDL Skills Examination Waiver Program

The BMV may waive the required CDL skills exam for select veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces with specific drive training and those who were truck drivers during their military service when they apply for an Indiana CDL after issuance of a CLP.

Still Have Questions? Contact The BMV