Fire Prevention & Building Safety Commission / Code Services
Tuesday, May 1, 2018
Indiana Government Center South
Conference Room B
302 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis IN, 46204
- Commission Members
- Commission Meeting Schedule
- Meeting Minutes
- Variance Action Letters
- Search, View, and Print Variance Information
- Online Variance Application
- Complete list of Codes and Rules Adopted by Commission
- Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission Rule-making Docket Index
- Non-Rule Policy Documents/Interpretations of the Commission's Rules
- Information on Ice/Water Shield and Drip Edge
- Electronic Communications Meeting Policy
Commission Variance Database
Indiana Residential Code Committee
Date, time and location to be announced
Indiana Elevator Code Committee
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Indiana Government Center South
Conference Room D
302 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
The Committee will be reviewing the 2013 edition of QEI-1.
All proposals for changes to QEI-1 must be submitted on the proposal for code change form, provided below, by 4:30 PM April 17, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to be considered by the Committee.
Ordinance Review and Approval
The Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission is tasked with reviewing and approving the fire safety and building laws adopted in the ordinances and other regulations of political subdivisions before they can become effective. If your local jurisdiction is interested in adopting a fire safety or building law, the ordinance templates and the information contained in the link below will help guide you through this process. Additionally, if you have any questions concerning this process, or if you would like to submit your ordinance for pre-adoption review or for Commission approval, please direct your correspondence to the Director of the Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission, Douglas Boyle, at this email address: email@example.com.
The following ordinance templates have been prepared by the Commission and are recommended to be utilized when drafting an ordinance. The use of these templates will expedite review of your ordinance and assist in avoiding potential conflicts and defects.
- Sample Building Code Ordinance - County
- Sample Building Code Ordinance - Municipalities
- Fire Prevention Ordinance Template
Approved Local Ordinances (January 1, 2018 to present)
- City of Auburn Ordinance No. 2017-03
- City of Rushville Ordinance No. 2017-35
- Porter County Ordinance No. 17-23
- Town of Chesterton Ordinance No. 2017-12
- Michigan City Ordinance No. 4461
- Order of Approval - Long Beach Ordinance No. 2017-06
- Order of Approval - Thorntown Ordinance No. 2018-1
Code Services Information
Code Services provides technical information for code development and administrative services to the Indiana Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission. The Commission adopts the code of building and fire safety laws that affect all buildings classified as Class 1 or Class 2 structures in the state of Indiana.
Code Services also performs research and provides interpretations regarding technical code applications to the Commission, the Division of Fire and Building Safety, and code users. In addition, the branch provides administrative services to the Commission such as processing applications for variances, appeals of state and local orders, and provides preliminary reviews of local building ordinances.
- Administrative Reviews
- Contacts for Code Education Classes
- Codes, Standards and other Rules
- Frequently Asked Questions