Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT/HOMELAND SECURITY HIGHER EDUCATION ADVISORY BOARD BY-LAWS
Approved March 18, 2005
- Name of Board
- The name of this organization shall be Emergency Management/Homeland Security Higher Education Advisory Board. Referred hereafter as the Board.
- Statement of Purpose:
- By 2/3 vote of the current membership, the purpose of the Board shall be:
Develop and promote partnerships between higher education, the private sector and public safety to enhance Indiana’s prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery capabilities for all emergencies, disasters or threats
- Comprised of representatives of the various educational institutions and the public sector organizations related to emergency management and homeland security.
- It is the responsibility of the various educational institutions and public sector organizations to select their representative.
- Term limits for membership are at the discretion of the representative sponsoring institution or organization.
- Representatives must attend 4 of 6 scheduled meetings. Failure to do so, without adequate reason or notification, may result in dismissal.
- Request for membership to the Board will be considered by the Membership Committee with a 2/3 vote to bring the applicant to the Board for approval.
- The voting membership will elect, by 2/3 vote, a Chair whose term of office shall be for two years. The Chair will oversee the required meetings and serve as the liaison to other boards or agencies.
- The voting membership will elect, by 2/3 vote, a Vice-Chair who will assume the role of Chair following the incumbent Chairs term of office. The Vice-Chair will assume the role of Chair if the incumbent Chair is absent or unable to perform the duties and responsibilities of Chair.
- The membership shall elect, by 2/3 vote a recording secretary who will be responsible for recording meeting minutes and dissemination to the membership following approval of the minutes. The Secretary will also be responsible for notification of upcoming meetings and any change related to time, place, or agenda items. The position of secretary shall be for one year with each voting member, either personally or in representing their institution or agency, responsible for serving as secretary at least once.
- There will be an Ad-hoc Committee for By-Laws with election by 2/3 vote of voting members or at the discretion of the Chair.
- There will be a standing committee for Conferences with election by 2/3 vote or at the discretion of the Chair.
- There will be a standing committee on Education and Training with election by 2/3 vote or at the discretion of the Chair.
- There will be an Ad-hoc Committee for membership with election by 2/3 vote or at the discretion of the Chair
- Committee Chairs are elected by 2/3 vote of the committee membership or at the discretion of the Board Chair
- Committee Chairs will serve for one year.
- Committee membership is by acclamation or at the discretion of the Board Chair or Committee Chair. Committee membership will be reviewed by the committee membership and/or with the Chair.
- The Board Chair can ask that a Sub-Committee be formed to provide information back to the membership on items not reflected by the standing committees.
- Each authorized Board member has one vote.
- If a member can not attend a scheduled meeting or item for vote, a Proxy can be filed.
- A quorum, defined as one over half the voting membership, is required to conduct a formal meeting. Majority is defined as one over half of the voting membership as well.
- A 2/3 vote includes those voting as Proxy.
- Rules of Order:
- Robert’s Rule of Order will be used.
- The agenda shall consist of
- Call to Order and Role Call
- Reading and approval of the minutes
- Report of the Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees.
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
- Items for inclusion in the Agenda must be submitted to the recording secretary at least one month prior to the meeting.
- The Agenda will be sent to voting members at least two weeks prior to each meeting date.
- The Board shall convene the 3rd Friday of every other month unless so directed.
- Notification of meetings shall be sent out at least one month in advance.