- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Homeland Security

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
  • National Terror Alert System
  • map_widget
  • state-that-works_widget

Indiana Department of Homeland Security

IDHS > About IDHS > Fire & Building Safety / Services > Building Safety & Services > Building Plan Review > New PR FAQ > Question 11 Question 11

What buildings must have a design release issued by the office of the State Building Commissioner before construction my be done?


All Class 1 structures which is defined as any part of the following: A building or structure that is intended to be or is occupied or is otherwise used in any part by the public, three or more tenants, or one or more persons who act as the employees of another. The definition of a class 1 structure includes site improvements which affect accessibility to buildings which are class 1 structures. Buildings used only for an agricultural purpose on the land where they are located and not used for retail trade are not Class 1 structures. Vehicular bridges are not Class 1 structures.

To determine if your project may be exempt from filing with the State, please send an E-mail to Dave Moses at .

For all other general questions call 317-232-6422