- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Fish & Wildlife > Wildlife Resources > Nuisance Wildlife > Do I need a permit? Do I need a permit?

Raccoons, skunks, opossums, beavers, muskrats, red foxes, gray foxes, mink, long-tailed weasels, gray squirrels and fox squirrels
A resident landowner or tenant can legally capture these species of wild animals without a permit if the animal is discovered damaging their own property and the animal is on the property that he/she owns or rents. The landowner/tenant can also designate another person to take that animal for them, but the landowner/tenant must provide written permission (which must be on the person while taking the animal) and no compensation of any kind can be given to the person who takes the animal. A hunting or trapping license or nuisance wild animal control permit is required to take wild animals on land other than your own.

The person who takes the animal must release it on land in the county where it was captured only with permission of the landowner or property manager or euthanize the animal within 24 hours of capture. These nuisance animals cannot be possessed for more than 24 hours and cannot be sold, traded, bartered or gifted.

Landowners, or a person with written permission from a landowner, may take coyotes year-round on private property by snaring, trapping or shooting without a permit from the DNR. A landowner does not need a permit to take coyotes on his/her property by one of these methods, but a hunting or trapping license is required to hunt or trap coyotes on land other than your own. Be sure to check local ordinances before using any firearms.

Groundhogs, Chipmunks, Mice, Common (Norway) Rats, Voles, Shrews and Moles
These species can be captured or killed year-round without a permit or hunting or trapping license from the DNR, and there are no limits to the number that can be taken.

Crows, Brown-headed Cowbirds, Common Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Brewer’s blackbirds
American crows, brown-headed cowbirds, common grackles, red-winged blackbirds, and Brewer's blackbirds can be taken without a permit if the birds are committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife or concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or nuisance as provided under 50 CFR 16 (federal law). Be sure to check local ordinances prior to using pyrotechnics or firearms.

European starlings, Rock (feral) Pigeons, and House Sparrows
European starlings, rock (feral) pigeons (not including homing pigeons), monk parakeets, and house sparrows can be taken without a permit at anytime. Be sure to check local ordinances prior to using pyrotechnics or firearms.

To obtain a Permit
The application form and regulations are available on-line.  For questions, please call the DNR, Division of Fish and Wildlife at (317) 232-4200.