Constructing log landings
- Minimize soil disturbance and clear only the size of landing needed.
- Clear high stumps, dead snags, and other hazards.
- Construct water diversions to drain water away from the landing and onto a stable area of the forest floor.
- If leveling is necessary, cut and fill should not obstruct the natural drainage of the area.
- During construction, use temporary erosion and sediment control practices (such as silt fences) where there is significant erosion potential or where there are insufficient buffer strips next to waterways.