Chain of Custody Certification
Indiana State Forests are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®). Purchasers of timber from State Forests may market products as FSC certified only if they have FSC Chain-of-Custody (CoC) certification. The Indiana Classified Forest and Wildlands program is also certified by the FSC, with individual landowners given the option to participate in the FSC certificate. Purchasers of timber from Classified Forest and Wildlands must verify that the owner has chosen to participate; if so, the purchaser may market those products as certified with the proper CoC certification. To expedite and simplify this CoC process, the Division of Forestry has developed a template procedures document and achieved a Group certificate through Scientific Certification Systems (SCS). Any Indiana company can use the template as guide in developing their own document.
Membership in the Division of Forestry’s Group Chain of Custody is limited to companies that meet the following qualifications:
- Located within the State of Indiana
- Engaged in logging, hauling or primary processing of forest products
- Make application to the Division of Forestry (DoF) requesting group membership
- Agree to comply with Corrective Action Requests (CARs) issued by DoF or contract auditors or the Certification Body, SCS.
- Agree to provide information (as necessary to ensure compliance with FSC CoC standards) to the DoF or the Certification Body upon request. This information may include, but not limited to: production records, internal policy documents, management records, invoices for services or products, and agreements with outside entities.
- Submit to an initial audit and to annual audits by DoF and/or the Certifying Body
- Agree to have FSC product claims for labeling, marketing, and promotion comply with the appropriate FSC standard and be approved by SCS through the DoF.
FSC trademark license codes – FSC® C108845 & FSC® C002017
- FSC 2016 Chain of Custody Audit Report
- Indiana Division of Forestry Controlled Wood Risk Assessment
- FSC Chain of Custody Group Membership
- Group Entity (IN DoF) Procedures
- Group Member Procedures Manual
- Controlled Wood Sourcing Policy
- Complaints Procedure
- FSC CoC Certification Report 2008
- FSC 2010 Chain of Custody Scope Expansion Audit
- FSC 2010 Chain of Custody Audit Report
- FSC 2011 Chain of Custody Audit Report
- FSC 2012 Chain of Custody Audit Report – Primary Group
- FSC 2012 Chain of Custody Audit Report – Secondary Group
- FSC 2013 Chain of Custody Audit Report (Primary)
- FSC 2013 Chain of Custody Audit Report (Secondary)
- FSC 2014 Chain of Custody Audit Report – Primary Group
- FSC 2014 Chain of Custody Audit Report – Secondary Group
- FSC 2015 Chain of Custody Scope Expansion Audit
- FSC Standards for Chain of Custody
- FSC Standards for Controlled Wood
- FSC Standards for Chain of Custody Multiple Sites