North Central Region
- NHL - National Historic Landmark
- HI - Hometown Indiana
- HPF - Historic Preservation Fund
- HTI - Historic Theater Initiative
- NRHP - National Register of Historic Places
- SR - Indiana State Register
- TC - Rehabilitation Tax Credits
- UGRR - Underground Railroad Initiative
- WRHC - Wabash River Heritage Corridor
East Ward School (NRHP, HPF Grant, and TC project)
1894 Romanesque style school was built during the gas boom era. The rehabilitation is almost complete on the windows and masonry. The school is being converted into affordable housing.
Seiberling Mansion (NRHP, HI)
1890 home of Monroe Seiberling, founder of the Diamond Plate Glass Company. It is now the home of the Howard County Historical Society. The grant paid for a new roof and copper gutters on the wrap-around porch.
Todd Bank Building (NRHP, WRHC)
1870 Italianate style building that had sustained significant interior damage due to roof failure. The grant paid for major building stabilization, interior demolition and debris removal, new roof, reconstruct interior walls and floors. The building is currently vacant because it was hit by a truck but the owner intends to use it for office space.
Jay House (NRHP, HI and HPF)
The Marion Library wanted more parking and purchased the Jay House with the intention of demolishing it. Local residents convinced the library to save it. The Hometown Indiana grant funded the new slate roof and the HPF grant is going towards window and door repair. The library will use the Jay house for their history and genealogy department.
Israel Jenkins House (NRHP, UGRR, TC)
C.1840 house is now the club house for Walnut Creek Golf Course and has a museum on the second floor. The owners have been working with our office to determine if Israel Jenkins was involved with the Underground Railroad. The owners also used tax credits to restore the house. They received an Outstanding Tax Credit award from our office.
Battell Park Bandshell (NRHP, HPF)
1927 bandshell located in Battell Park on the banks of the St. Joe River. The grant paid for masonry repair.
Jeremiah H. Service House “Old Republic” (NRHP, HPF)
1861 Italianate/Exotic Revival house. The house was vacant from 1973 to 1998 when Historic New Carlisle, Inc. purchased it. The grant paid for masonry repair for the house. The Old Republic now houses the office of Historic New Carlisle, a senior citizen area, meeting rooms, and space for community events.
Marshall County Infirmary Barn “Shady Rest” (NRHP, HPF)
1893 basement barn on the grounds of the county home. Rehabilitation of the barn. The facility is still in use as a county home but the barn is available for community use.
Porter-Rea Cemetery (Cemetery Registry, UGRR)
1854 cemetery within the grounds of Potato Creek State Park where African-American settlers were buried alongside their white neighbors.
2nd St. Joseph County Courthouse (NRHP, HPF)
1854 Greek Revival courthouse that was moved in 1896. Upon the completion of the 3rd County Courthouse in 1897, the 2nd Courthouse served as the home of the St. Joseph County Historical Society for decades. The grant paid for roof repair of the building. The 3rd Courthouse was running out of room so court functions have now returned to the building.
Palace Theater “Morris Performing Arts Center” & the Palais Royale (NRHP, HPF)
1921 theater and adjacent ballroom that underwent a massive restoration/renovation in 1998-2000. The grant funding went towards a new rubber membrane roof for both facilities. The Morris hosts a variety of performances and the Palais is available for receptions/events.
Vurpillat’s Opera House (NRHP, HPF)
1883 Second Empire building that housed a bank, hardware store, professional offices and a 600-seat opera house. The grant funding installed a new roof and cleaned out interior. The Pulaski County Historical Society owns the building and is currently fundraising to complete the restoration.