DHPA Jewish Historical Resources
Tippecanoe County was organized in 1826. The city of Lafayette, was incorporated in 1853, is the county seat.
Ahvas Achim Congregation was formed in 1851. They had a school and cemetery, and by 1869 had built a temple by architect Jacob Welschbilling. The name was changed to Temple Israel in 1919. The congregation sold the building in 1969 and built in nearby West Lafayette. The original synagogue was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
The city of Lafeyette has had a long history of Jewish business owners. Heintz Rosenwhitzengery was listed as a peddler in 1860. Samuel Bom was a grain dealer in 1869. Henry Rosenweig was a clothier in 1865; in 1875 he was also listed as a pawn broker. Leo Dreyfus was a butcher in 1869. He worked for Meyer and Kurtz. Charles and Daniel Kurtz were a butchers in 1869. Henry Strauss was a clothier in 1869. A. Strauss was a clothier in 1865. Emanuel Ullmann owned E. Ullman & Co in 1869. M. Ullmann owned a store that sold groceries and provisions in 1869.