Toboggan Run at Pokagon State Park
Pokagon State Park's refrigerated Toboggan Run near Angola, Indiana, has about 90,000 riders every season. With the 30-foot tower and dips and valleys, the total vertical drop is 90 feet over the course of a quarter mile. The top recorded speed is 42 mph. It's a 20 to 30 second thrill ride.
It opens for the season, with or without snow at 10:30 a.m., Nov. 24. It operates through Feb. 25, 2018.
Friday: 5:30-9 p.m.
Saturday: 10:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
The Toboggan has extended hours during winter break and is open on New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day and Presidents’ Day.
- 2017-18 Daily Schedule
- Video: Sledding Down The Run
- Live Video from Toboggan Tower
- Pokagon State Park
- Potawatomi Inn Reservations
- Toboggan Run Gift Certificates
Fees & General Information
- Toboggan sled rental per hour: $13 (including tax). Toboggan Run gift certificates.
- Toboggan renters are guaranteed one ride per hour during peak times.
- Friday Special: Rent three toboggans in the same hour, the third one is free (except during winter break).
- Park entrance fees: $7 in-state vehicles, $9 out-of-state vehicles, $2 a person on a bus.
- During winter, fees are collected Friday nights and on weekends when the run is open.
- Park closes at 11 p.m. Opens at 7 a.m.
- Driver’s license is required as deposit, rents up to four toboggans.
- Must use park’s sleds. Rented on first-come, first-served basis.
- Maximum of four people per toboggan (no exceptions).
- Cash, check and Visa/MasterCard accepted.
- No all-day rentals.
- No group reservations or group rates.
- There are no specific age or height restrictions, but children must be able to understand and abide by rules.
- No cameras or video equipment allowed on ride.
- Toboggan will close if temperature drops to 0 degrees F or below.
- Warming Center concession available (carry-in food prohibited).
- Nature Center is open noon-4 p.m. Wednesday-Friday; closed Monday and Tuesday; and open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- The park office, (260) 833-2012, is open 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day, except Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Need a Place to Stay or Eat?
The Potawatomi Inn Resort and Conference Center is located nearby the run. It has 137 guest rooms, restaurant, and a spacious banquet and conference center. Make reservations online or call (877) 563-4371.
Hours for the dining room:
Breakfast: 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Dinner: 5-8 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 5-9 p.m. Friday and Saturday
Sunday Brunch: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Cross Country Ski Rental
Located at the upper CCC Shelter. Includes skis, boots and poles.
- Hours: Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., weather permitting.
- Cost: $5 an hour for youths 15 and under, $8 an hour for adults.
The slide got its start in 1935 when the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 556 built a wooden toboggan run for their own fun. The first run had a huge curve halfway down and then, near the inn, curved toward Lake James. The following year, the track was straightened to increase speed. In 1938, Company 556 erected a taller tower of about 20 feet. A second track was added in 1940.
In 1971, the slide became refrigerated. The design at that time now seems a little primitive compared to today. The old wooden tower and concrete began to deteriorate and the current 30-foot tower and track were added in 1974. In 1984, work started on renovating the two tracks. At the same time, a new rental and warming center was built. The new track did not reopen until Thanksgiving 1986. Additional work was done in 1998. More about the run's history.