- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Revenue

Indiana Department of Revenue

MCS Home > Motor Carrier Services > Returning User > Fuel Tax - IFTA/MCFT Fuel Tax - IFTA/MCFT

Generally, a business that operates commercial motor vehicles in the State of Indiana must pay a tax based upon the fuel usage for certain vehicles.

If vehicles are subject to this tax, they must be registered with the Indiana Department of Revenue’s MCS, have yearly compliance decals and license cards, and file quarterly tax returns.

There are two types of fuel tax requirements for vehicles depending on whether they travel intrastate (in the State of Indiana ONLY) or interstate (in more than one state, including Canada). Those that travel interstate are required to register for an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), and those who travel intrastate are required to register for Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (MCFT).

For more information on the MCFT/IFTA taxes, see the below resources, call (317) 615-7345, or e-mail

IFTA/MCFT Online Fuel Tax System

This new online Indiana Fuel Tax System offers motor carriers the ability to manage all of their MCFT/IFTA transactions with the Motor Carrier Division online and in one place.

This new system has been designed to provide motor carriers with a single source for all their fuel tax reporting in Indiana.

The application allows you to process and pay your quarterly tax returns and renewal applications without ever leaving your home or office. You also can request additional decals and complete most other transaction types on this application.

To begin using this online application, click here.

IFTA - International Fuel Tax Agreement (Interstate Carriers)

MCFT - Indiana Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (Intrastate Carriers)

Additional Resources