- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Revenue

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
  • tax talk widget
  • tax_videolibrary_widget
  • transparency_widget

Indiana Department of Revenue

DOR > Tax Talk Blog > Extra value for your education buck Extra value for your education buck

Aug. 12, 2013 – TaxTalk Blog

Who doesn’t like a good deal? Your day is made when that special DVD you’ve been looking for pops up in a “25% Off” bin. The BOGO sign – Buy One, Get One (free, half-off, other discount) always gets a second look, and warm, gooey breakfast samples passed out at your local grocery is a great way to start a morning.

Well, Indiana has some good tax deals when it comes to stretching your education dollars.

Save for college – You can make this the year to “get credit” for saving for a loved-one’s college tuition. With the CollegeChoice 529 education savings plan, you get a 20-percent state credit (up to $1,000) for contributions made this year. Visit the plan administrator’s site at and read Information Bulletin #98 for details.

Make a donation to higher education – With this one, you may get a state credit and a deduction on your federal tax return. If you are in the giving mood and want to support the Indiana college of your choice, making a contribution could net you up to a $100 (if filing singly) or $200 (if married filing jointly) credit when you file your state tax return. Contributions to your favorite Indiana college can include not only cash, but stuff – like a rare book, a painting or even a piece of land. Plus, you get an even bigger bang for your college-contribution buck if you itemize deductions on your federal tax return. Just make sure to keep your receipt/letter from the institution. Read Information Bulletin #14 for particulars about the state credit, and get information about claiming itemized deductions from the IRS.

Contribute to K-12 scholarships – Contributions to this fund are used to provide K-12 scholarships for Hoosier children. A contribution can net a 50% credit against your state tax liability. While there are no limits on the size of qualifying contribution, the entire tax credit program has a limit of $7.5 million in credits per state fiscal year. And, this contribution may also qualify as an itemized deduction on your federal tax return. For more information about this credit, visit the Dept. of Education’s School Scholarship site at

Private school/homeschool deduction – You may be eligible for a deduction based on education expenditures paid for each of your dependent children who are enrolled in a K-12 private school or is homeschooled. If eligible, the deduction is $1,000 per qualified dependent. For more information, get Information Bulletin #107 at

For those of you looking for state income tax deals, consider these ideas. Contributions/payments made between now and Dec. 31 will qualify you for these credits/deduction when filing your 2013 Indiana individual income tax return.

If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Facebook   Twitter


Recent Posts

  • Sales Tax Exemptions for Nonprofits
    November 16,  2016

    Nonprofits are especially active during the holiday season. During this time of year, the famous “Hoosier hospitality” is displayed through food kitchens, holiday craft shows, toy collections, bake sales, and much more.  As the holidays approach, it’s easy to forget when nonprofits are or are not exempt from sales tax. Here’s a quick refresher. Read more...

  • What does the Taxpayer Advocate Office do?!
    November 9, 2016

    Have you ever experienced a tax issue that could not be resolved through Indiana Department of Revenue's normal processes? If an issue cannot be resolved through normal processes, the Taxpayer Advocate Office is avaibale to assist you. Read more...


Full Archive...