FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Chetrice Mosley
Phone: (317) 232-2379
Indiana Tax Season Opening Soon
Online Filing and Extended
Customer Service Hours Available
INDIANAPOLIS (Jan. 22, 2014) – The Indiana Department of Revenue (and the IRS) will open the 2014 filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns Jan. 31, 2014. The Indiana Department of Revenue encourages taxpayers to electronically file their federal and state return. The department will also extend its customer service hours to accommodate taxpayer needs.
Starting Jan. 31, the Department of Revenue will again offer qualified taxpayers a free filing service called Indiana freefile (INfreefile) to file both their federal AND state taxes online. Last year, more than 118,000 taxpayers used INfreefile to file their Indiana taxes. However, nearly 1 million Hoosier taxpayers qualify to file taxes for free through INfreefile.
Taxpayers should visit www.freefile.dor.in.gov to see if they qualify for INfreefile based on the vendors’ options. If qualified, taxpayers simply click the vendor of their choice and complete their tax returns online. It’s that simple!
If not qualified for INfreefile, taxpayers can e-file their federal and state tax returns using one of many vendors who offer these services.
There are many advantages to electronically filing:
- Faster refunds – e-filed returns are processed in 10 to 14 days, while a paper return can take up to 10 to12 weeks.
- Increased security – fewer people see your information.
- Get more or owe less – e-filing software may suggest credits and deductions you might not have known about.
- Better accuracy – electronic returns have a 2 percent error rate versus 20 percent for paper returns.
Hours of Operation Change for the Tax Season
To better serve taxpayers, the department has extended its customer service office hours during the tax season to the following:
- January: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST)
- February through April: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST)
If taxpayers have any questions regarding their individual income tax returns, they should contact the department at (317) 232-2240 or visit www.in.gov/dor/3392.htm.