- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
  • Widget 1
  • Widget 2
  • Widget 3
  • Widget 4

Indiana Department of Workforce Development

DWD > Career Training & Adult Education > Office for Career and Technical Schools (Proprietary Education) Office for Career and Technical Schools (Proprietary Education)

Schools Seeking Initial Accreditation or Renewal:

Pursuant to IC 22-4.1-21-10 the responsibility for accrediting post-secondary proprietary schools that are non credit-bearing and non degree-granting is transferred to the Office for Career and Technical Schools under the State Workforce Innovation Council. This action includes the following schools:

List of Accredited Institutions List of Closed/Defunct Institutions

Important Due Dates              OCTS Policy and Procedures      

If seeking initial accreditation for a non-credit bearing/non degree-granting career or technical school, or if seeking accreditation renewal and your institution is listed above, contact our office at: for further instructions.

IMPORTANT: It may be a violation of Indiana Code for you to offer to the public for a fee, tuition, or charge educational and/or training services without accreditation. For a determination of status, please print or download the attached questionnaire, and forward to or mail to: Office of Career and Technical Schools, Department of Workforce Development, 10 N. Senate Avenue SE 304, Indianapolis, IN 46204.

Determination of Status Questionnaire

Applicant Orientation

If you represent a credit-bearing/degree-granting institution seeking initial accreditation or accreditation renewal, contact the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Board for Proprietary Education (BPE):

Student Complaint Process:

The Office for Career and Technical Schools is responsible for reviewing and responding to formal complaints against post-secondary proprietary schools that are non-credit bearing and non-degree granting. Though staff cannot offer legal advice or initiate civil court cases, they will review submitted complaints and work with student complainants and schools toward a mutually satisfactory resolution.

If you are a student at one of the accredited schools regulated by the State Workforce Innovation Council (see List of Accredited Institutions) and wish to file a complaint, proceed as follows:

STEP 1.  First, concerns should be addressed directly with school staff or faculty. Part of the complaint review process will include contacting the school, so please be sure to follow the school’s student complaint process and exhaust your options with the school.  If the problem cannot be resolved through the school, proceed to STEP 2.

STEP 2. File a formal complaint by completing the online complaint form.

STEP 3. Staff will review the complaint and contact you should they need additional information or clarification. Staff will forward a copy of the complaint to the school at which time the school will have three (3) weeks to respond. Upon receipt of the school’s response, staff will determine if the school’s student complaint process has been followed and exhausted and what additional steps or follow up may occur; both parties will receive notification.

NOTE: If you believe a school has acted in a discriminatory manner, you may wish to contact the Indiana Civil Rights Commission using the ICRC’s complaint form.