You will be eligible for a Provisional Certification (white card) by doing the following steps:
- Provide proof of graduation from an ITP program. (A copy of your diploma)
- To apply for an IIC as a provisional, one would need to have a bachelor's degree
- Letter of recommendation from the ITP Director.
- Provide proof of passing the written test from RID.
- Fill out the following IIC Application Form , located on the DDRS Forms page under Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services. A $50 fee is required per certification cycle for the Provisional Interpreter Certificate. Each certification period is two years.
With the Provisional Certification, you may interpret in the community in Indiana. You will have up to five years from the date of passing the written exam to take the performance exam. If you do not pass the performance exam, or fail to take it, your Provisional Certification will expire at the end of five years.
Grandfathered (Community interpreter)
You will be eligible for a Community Interpreter (gray card) by doing the following steps:
- Provide proof of employment at an identified interpreter agency prior to July 1, 1999.
- Proof of employment would be a copy of pay stub or W-2 form.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from your previous employer
Nationally certified interpreter
You will be eligible for a gold card which indicates that you are a nationally certified interpreter.
- Provide proof of a current RID membership card