- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Family and Social Services Administration

Medicaid Policy Home > Medicare Assistance > HoosierRx > Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for the new HoosierRx benefit?

First, you must apply for “extra help” to pay for your Medicare Part D prescription drug plan. You may do this by filling out the Application for Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs through the Social Security Administration. Next, you will need to enroll in one of the prescription drug plans working with HoosierRx. Finally, you will need to send HoosierRx a copy of your Social Security “Notice of Denial” or “Notice of Award” for the extra help, a copy of your ID card or welcome letter from the prescription drug company with which you enrolled, and a copy of proof of income.

Back to the Top

I'm confused about "proof of income;" what is "proof of income?"

Proof of income is copies of any statements or documentation that show income you receive on a monthly basis. HoosierRx counts "gross income." For instance, the amount of your Social Security check before the Medicare premium is taken out. All proof of income must have the name of the applicant on it. Proof of income may be copies of the following sources of income, but is not limited to:

• A bank statement showing earned interest or deposits of Social Security, pension, annuity, etc.
• Social Security Award Letter.
• Veteran's Benefits Award Letter.
• Copies of pension and Social Security checks.
• Copies of past month's work pay stubs.
• Interest from bank accounts.
• Annuities.
• IRAs and CDs.
• Dividends.
• Self-employment income.
• Rental or farm income.
• Other papers from a company or organization that pays you money.
• A letter from a past employer listing a retirement or pension amount.

We must have copies of statements or documentation showing any and all income you receive on a monthly basis. If you do not submit the proper proof of income with your application, your HoosierRx application will be denied. If you have questions about proof of income, please call our toll-free number at 1-866-267-4679.

Back to the Top


How can I learn more about the Medicare Prescription Drug Plans?

If you have questions about the Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, you should:

• Read your “Medicare and You” handbook.
• Visit
• Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
• You may also call the Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) counselors toll-free at 1-800-452-4800.

Back to the Top

How long will it take to process my HoosierRx application?

New applications may take up to 4 weeks to process.

Back to the Top

Why is the program only for seniors?

The language in the enabling statute states that the program is for seniors only.

Back to the Top

I'm enrolled in Medicaid; will I still qualify for HoosierRx?

Remember, HoosierRx now helps to pay for your monthly Medicare Part D premium. HoosierRx no longer pays for your prescriptions drugs. Depending on the type of assistance you receive from Medicaid, you may be eligible for help from Medicare to pay for your prescription drugs. If you are enrolled in Medicare and have full Medicaid or Medicaid with a spend-down (and have met your spend-down at least once since January 1, of the current year) you would not be eligible for HoosierRx. Medicare will now pay for your prescription drug expenses including your monthly premium. Also, if Medicaid pays your Medicare Part A or Part B premium and/or your Medicare deductibles and co-payments, you would not be eligible for HoosierRx, because you would be receiving assistance for your prescription drug expenses from Medicare.

Back to the Top

If I do not qualify for Medicare Part D and I can't afford to pay for my prescriptions, where else can I go for help?

There are other types of prescription assistance programs. To find out about available assistance programs, contact the Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) at 1-800-452-4800 or, your Township Trustee's office, or your local Area Agency on Aging at There are also several Pharmaceutical Companies who offer prescription drug discount plans. These programs can be reached by calling 1-877-793-0765.

Back to the Top


Where did the money to create this program come from?

Money from the Tobacco Settlement Fund has been allotted for this program. HoosierRx does not receive its funding from the Indiana General Fund.

Back to the Top

Will funding from the Tobacco Settlement Fund be given to this program every year?

State legislators will have to approve a budget that includes money allotted to this program for its continuation.

Back to the Top

What happens when the Tobacco Settlement money is gone?

The funding continues for 20 years, and we are committed to helping seniors with their prescription drug costs.

Back to the Top