A Note Regarding Resources: Items are listed on this page that enhance work with the topic discussed. Some older items, especially, may include dated practices and ideas that are no longer generally accepted. Resources reflecting current practices are noted whenever possible
- Bloemker, Al. 500 Miles To Go: The Story of The Indianapolis Speedway. New York: Coward-McCann, Inc. 1961.
Bloemker’s book is a standard source of information on the 500. For adult or interested student reading.
- Butterworth, W. E. An Album of Automobile Racing. New York: Franklin Watts. 1977.
This book offers students easy reading and quick information about automobile racing.
- Devaney, John and Barbara. The Indianapolis 500: A Complete Pictorial History. Chicago: Rand McNally & Company. 1976.
This is a good year-by-year account of the 500 beginning with 1911.
- Dolan, Edward R., Jr. Great Moments in the Indy 500. New York: Franklin Watts. 1982.
This year-by-year account is written for students and is a good source of information.
- Fisher, Jane. Fabulous Hoosier: A Story of American Achievement. New York: Robert M. McBride & Company. 1947.
This biography of Carl Fisher was written by Fisher’s wife.
- History Committee of the Speedway Civic Committee, compilers. The Story of Speedway. [Speedway, Ind.]: Speedway Civic Committee.1976.
This is an excellent source for the local history of Speedway and serves as a good model for other communities wishing to compile a history.
- Hungness, Carl; Fox, Jack; Blackwell, Justyn, eds. 500 Souvenir Book. Speedway, Ind.: Carl Hungness Publishing. 1983.
This souvenir book includes some wonderful articles and photographs of 500 history.
- Robinson, Scott. Indy Cars. Mankato, Minn.: Crestwood House. 1988.
Easy to read student book on the basics of Indy car racing.
- The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum is open every day except Christmas, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $1.00 per person/ under 16 are free. Over 70 cars are displayed with race engines, helmets, goggles, trophies, and old photographs. For an additional nominal fee, conducted track tours are available. Located at 4790 West 16th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46222. Call (317) 248-6747 for more information.
- Special thanks to: the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation—Robert L. Walters, Director of Public Relations, and Ron McQueeney, Director of Photography; Donald Davidson, United States Auto Club; the Speedway Public Library; the Speedway Civic Committee.