New Purchase Boundary (Treaty of St. Mary's)

New Purchase Boundary (Treaty of St. Mary's)

Location: NW corner Grant County Courthouse lawn, 401 S. Adams St., Marion. (Grant County, Indiana)

Erected by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission, 1966

ID# : 27.1966.1

Text

In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Jonathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction. [map]

Keywords

Early Settlement and Exploration, American Indian/Native American, Government Institutions