Fort Knox, First Site
Location: Buntin & 1st Streets, 2 blocks south of Old French House, Vincennes. (Knox County, Indiana)
Erected by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission, 1966
ID# : 42.1966.2
Built in 1787 by Major John F. Hamtramck under command of General Josiah Harmar. United States Army's most western outpost for several years. Named for General Henry Knox, first Secretary of War.
Military, Early Settlement and Exploration