IN.gov - Skip Navigation
Location: South 1.5 miles on US 421, west side of road across from quarry entrance, Francesville. (Pulaski County, Indiana)
Erected 1988 by the Pulaski County Historical Society
ID# : 66.1988.1
One mile southwest of this marker gas was discovered in 1867 by G. Bates while drilling for oil at a depth of 500 feet. Gas wells were drilled in 1887-1888; gas piped into Francesville lasted only four years.
Business, Industry, and Labor