Noble County Seat / Noble County Courthouse
Location: Courthouse Square, Albion. (Noble County, Indiana)
Erected 1999 Indiana Historical Bureau and Courthouse Square Preservation Society, Inc.
ID# : 57.1999.1
Marker Review Report: Learn more here.
Noble County formed by General Assembly 1836; named after James Noble, first U.S. Senator from Indiana. County seats Sparta 1836, Augusta 1837, Port Mitchell 1844, Center, later named Albion, selected 1846 as county seat in runoff election. Arrival of railroad in 1874 brought prosperity and major construction on courthouse square circa 1880-1890.
First courthouse (1847) destroyed by fire; replaced by two-story brick structure 1860. This courthouse, third on the site, built 1887-1889 in Richardsonian Romanesque Style of brick and limestone. Designed by E. O. Fallis & Co., Toledo, Ohio. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1981.
Government Institutions, Buildings and Architecture