Site of Camp Whitcomb
Location: SE corner Beharrell Avenue & E. Spring Street, New Albany. (Floyd County, Indiana)
Erected by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission, 1966
ID# : 22.1966.1
Five Indiana regiments were formed at this rendezvous point in 1846-1847 for service in the Mexican War. The first 3, 000 men departed for active duty under Brigadier-General Joseph Lane during July, 1846.