The Federal Programs section administers three programs:
- Superfund Program:
- The goal of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management's Superfund Program is to reduce or eliminate risk to human health and the environment at 46 hazardous waste sites on the National Priorities List in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, so that these sites are made available for beneficial reuse to the greatest extent possible. Ten (10) of the 46 sites have been delisted from the National Priorities List but are still subject to review and maintenance.
- Defense Environmental Restoration Program:
- The goal of the Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) is to oversee and assist the Department of Defense, in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, in the investigation and cleanup of nine (9) active or closing military installations and eight (8) Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) at which hazardous substances and/or petroleum products were used, stored, or disposed of during past operations, such that human health and the environment are protected and economic redevelopment can occur.
- Site Investigations Program:
- The goal of the Site Investigations (SI) Program is to fulfill the assessment portion of the Superfund Program for the state of Indiana by assessesing potential hazardous waste sites and prioritizing them for cleanup according to their impact to human health and/or the environment. SI performs various assessments and investigations of sites and facilities throughout the state in order to evaluate sites for their potential to be placed on the National Priorities List or for referral to another cleanup program. Site investigations include assessing conditions or practices at a site to determine whether they currently, or may in the future, contribute to environmental contamination. Assessments also evaluate possible targets in the area that may be affected by any discovered contamination.
Superfund Information Links
Defense Environmental Restoration Program Links
Site Investigation Links
Technical Guidance and Documents