The Underground Storage Tanks program is responsible for assuring that all regulated underground storage tanks meet the U.S. EPA's and Indiana's requirements for release detection, spill and overflow prevention and corrosion protection, and to insure that tanks not meeting those requirements are properly closed or upgraded. The section educates and assists underground storage tank owners and operators in order to encourage and promote voluntary compliance.
Featured Topic: UST Operator Training
IDEM Offers Free Online Training to Underground Storage Tank (UST) Owners and Operators
As of August 8, 2012, all of Indiana’s approximately 4,000 UST facilities, most of which are gas stations, must designate individuals as Class A, Class B, and Class C operators for various responsibilities of system operations. Class A, Class B, and Class C operators must be certified in various aspects of system maintenance and operations. IDEM is providing the required training and certification program for free.
- Class A status is for individuals, such as owners, who hire or contract the personnel who are responsible for day to day maintenance and record keeping.
- Class B status is for individuals, such as consultants or full-time employees, who the facility owner has designated for the operation of all aspects of the system’s operation and maintenance.
- Class C status is for facility employees, like cashiers, who assist Class A and Class B operators in monitoring for problems and responding to emergencies. Class C operators may be trained by the Class A or B for the facility or their designee.
The UST Operator Training system can experience extremely high submission volume at this time. Some users may experience the system timing out and returning you to the login screen while attempting to click through the screens, or while submitting your test. If this happens to you, please log back in and retake the test. Once you have received your certification in your email, you do not need to take the test for that certification again.
Featured Topic: UST Notification and Financial Responsibility
All UST Owners and Operators that have not submitted the newest Notification Form, updated in January 2014, must now complete and submit this new form to IDEM. In addition, you must complete the Certificate of Financial Assurance (COFA) Request Form if you choose to use ELTF. Owners and Operators must also have a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (COFR) that shows you have an insurance policy, a Tangible Net Worth letter or other device outlined under 329 IAC 9-8 to meet the state and federal law for FR. In order to demonstrate compliance with your FR requirements, COFA, COFR and a Copy of the FR mechanism(s) must be available for inspection at your facility no later than January 1, 2015:
UST Fact Sheets
The following fact sheets are available on the IDEM Fact Sheets page:
- Citizen’s Guide to Underground Storage Tanks
- Financial Responsibility and Excess Liability Trust Fund
- New Owners and Operators of Underground Storage Tanks
- Selecting an Environmental Consultant or Contractor
The following forms are available on the IDEM Forms page:
- Leaking Underground Storage Tank (LUST) Initial Incident Report - 54487
- Notice of Intent to Purchase UST and Reinstate Eligibility - 48079
- Request for Certificate of Financial Assurance for UST (COFA) - 52884 (and Instructions)
- UST Notification Form - 45223 (and Instructions)