- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
Find Out Where to Recycle

Indiana Department of Environmental Management


Rate Regulation

Citizens and Campgrounds

The Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC), advocates for citizens when they have problems with their current rates. The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) deals with legal complaints. Citizens can file complaints with the OUCC for advocacy and help regarding a campground. The IURC receives a complaint from an actual operator or owner of a campground. Otherwise, the IURC does not formally regulate regional districts at this time.

The difference between the two is explained below by the OUCC Web site:

"Our [OUCC] job is to give all Indiana consumers a voice when decisions are made that could affect utility rates and services.

"The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) represents the interests of residential, commercial and industrial utility customers in all cases before the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC). We also participate in cases before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the courts. Our attorneys and technical experts are involved in electric, natural gas, telecommunications, water and sewer matters.

"The OUCC and IURC are separate state government agencies, with the IURC designated under Indiana law to make decisions in cases involving regulated public utilities and the OUCC serving as the consumers' legal and technical representative."

Related Links

I'd Like To...