Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Clean Air Tips for Employers
Energy Related Options:
- Replace inefficient boilers or furnaces with newer energy efficient models.
- Convert combustion processes to cleaner burning fuels.
- Install renewable energy source technology such as wind, geothermal or solar.
- Replace incandescent lighting with compact fluorescents.
- Purchase only Energy Star office equipment.
- Set all computers to sleep mode, as opposed to using screen savers.
- Set your thermostat 1-3 degrees lower in the winter and 1-3 degrees higher in the summer.
- Assign a team or person to ensure that all lights and computers are off at the end of a workday.
- Reward departments that quantifiably reduce energy.
Transportation Related Options:
- Install bike racks for employee use.
- Develop a fee-based parking system.
- Reward carpoolers/vanpoolers with preferred parking.
- Offer public transportation cost offsets for employees.
- Offer telework program.
- Purchase hybrid and/or super low emissions vehicles for pool cars.
Waste Related Options:
- Purchase only 100 percent recycled paper.
- Start a composting bin in kitchen or break-room.
- Eliminate the use of plastic utensils; substitute reusable utensils and dishes in kitchen/break-room.
- Edit or proof documents on PC monitor; do not print hard-copies for this purpose.
- Develop office policy that requires all editing of documents to be performed electronically.
- Duplex copies and print jobs when at all possible.