There are several ways to participate in the air permit review process:
- Permits Mailing List:
- The Office of Air Quality (OAQ) maintains a mailing list of people who have asked to be notified of permit activity. You can request to be notified of permit actions related to either a specific source, or for all permit activity in a certain county. To be put on the mailing list, call OAQ at (800) 451-6027 ext. 3-0178. Ask for the "Permits Administration Section".
- Public Hearings:
- One way to participate in the air permit review process is to attend a public hearing. Public hearings are held by request on draft permits. The purpose of a hearing is to provide an opportunity for citizens to comment on the draft permit and to ask questions. Anyone can request a public hearing by contacting the Office of Air Quality. Dates and times of public hearings are listed on the IDEM Events Calendar.
- IDEM Guide for Citizen Participation (Currently Unavailable):
- The IDEM Citizens Guide is being updated. IDEM is presently working on many updates to the document. Currently a timeline for completion of the new Guide for Citizen Participation has not be established. We apologize for any inconvenience while we perform this necessary maintenance.
- IDEM provides the Guide for Citizen Participation to help you understand state and federal environmental laws, and explain how you can participate when IDEM makes or amends environmental rules, and makes decisions regarding issuing permits or conducting cleanup actions. This guide can also point you to other government agencies that may have authority regarding activities that are not regulated by IDEM.