- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Environmental Management

Indiana Department of Environmental Management

Water Quality in Indiana > Wastewater Permitting Wastewater Permitting

The Water Permitting Branch serves residents and businesses located in Indiana by issuing NPDES and construction permits to sources that discharge wastewater to stream, lakes, and other water bodies. The Municipal Permits Section, including the Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Program, and Industrial Permits Section issue NPDES permits to point source discharges in accordance with the federal Clean Water Act (CWA), federal laws, and state laws and regulations. The Permits Administration Section administers the non-storm water NPDES general permits program. The Facility Construction and Engineering Support Section issues construction permits related to wastewater treatment plant and sewer construction. The Drinking Water Permit Section issues construction permits for drinking water wells and treatment.

Wastewater Permits

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits
Operational Permit for Industrial Facilities
Streamlined Mercury Variance (SMV)
  • Available on the IDEM Forms page:
    • Industrial SMV Application, Overview, and Instructions
    • Municipal SMV Application, Overview, and Instructions
  • SMV FAQs [DOC]
Wastewater Permit Program Contacts
  • Industrial Permits, Pretreatment Permits, Individual Storm Water Permits, Public Water Supply Discharge Permits: (317) 232-8709
  • General Permits: (317) 232-8704
  • Municipal Permits, Semi-Public Permits, State Facility Permits, Federal Facility Permits: (317) 233-0469
  • Wastewater Facility Construction Permits: (317) 232-5579