Waste Tire Management
The goal of Indiana's Waste Tire Management Program is to develop and advance the management of waste tires in Indiana. The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) promotes waste tires as a marketable resource rather than a waste stream for disposal and provides technical assistance for source reduction, re-use, recycling, and proper management of waste tires.
Why waste tires are a concern:
A number of serious health and environmental concerns are associated with waste tires. When tires are improperly stockpiled or illegally dumped, they trap rainwater and become breeding grounds for disease-carrying mosquitoes and rodents. In addition, large collections of tires can be serious fire hazards. Tire fires spread quickly and are difficult to extinguish. Additionally, tires during open burning, release toxic gases into the air and leave behind a hazardous oily residue that can pollutes the surface water, groundwater, and soil. IDEM regulates the generators, transporters, processors and storage sites of waste tires to ensure all are operating in compliance with applicable regulations.
The Compliance & Technical Assistance Program (CTAP) offers guidance for questions such as:
- What problems are created by accumulating large piles of tires?
- What is required for proper disposal?
- What are the rules for a business to collect and process waste tires for disposal?
- What are best management practices for waste tire management?
- Is there a list of operations currently approved to collect and dispose of tires?
The following waste tire forms are available on the IDEM Forms page:
- Application for Waste Tire Processing Operation Registration - 47221
- Application for Waste Tire Storage Site Registration (or Renewal) - 47222
- Application for Waste Tire Transporter Registration (Or Renewal) - 47220
- Contingency Plan for Waste Tire Processing Operations and Storage Sites - 54817
- Registered Tire Storage Site Closure Cost Estimate - 53784
- Waste Tire Manifest - 47273
- Waste Tire Facility Closure Notification - 55351
- In-State & Out-of-State Tire Transporter Registration List [XLS]
- Indiana Waste Tire Processors & Storage Facilities [XLS]
- Waste Tire Related Programs
- Waste Tire Management Rule (329 IAC 15) (Download Article 15)
- 329 IAC 15: Key Requirements [PDF]
- Managing Waste Tires in Indiana [PDF]