Fiber Reinforced Plastic Manufacturing
The Indiana Department of Environmental Management, (IDEM) uses the collaborative efforts from the past in order to set up today’s framework to assist Fiber Reinforced Plastic Manufacturers. The American Composites Manufacturers Association (ACMA), (formerly the Composite Fabricators Association (CFA)) worked with the Office of Air Quality (OAQ) to develop emission factors for open molding systems. These Unified Emission Factors for Open Molding Composites [PDF] were revised and updated in October of 2009. IDEM's Compliance and Technical Assistance Program (CTAP) uses these adjusted factors for calculating potential emissions for sources applying open molding practices, and helps businesses understand the state and federal rules that they may be required to comply with for their individual processes.
The Compliance Technical Assistance Program (CTAP) may be contacted at (800) 988-7901 for confidential assistance. A CTAP consultation request can be made as well.
State and Federal Rules:
The Clean Air Act (CAA), as amended in 1990, mandates that emissions of 188 Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs) be controlled through regulation. The CAA mandated that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) target industries that emit these HAPs, and promulgate standards for these major categories. Two of the categories initially identified by the U.S. EPA were Reinforced Plastic Composites Production (RPC) and Boat Manufacturing.
Subpart WWWW—National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Reinforced Plastic Composites Production
- eCFR Subpart WWWW—National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Reinforced Plastic Composites Production
- 326 IAC 20-56 Reinforced Plastic Composites Production (incorporates by reference 40 CFR 63, Subpart WWWW) [PDF]
Subpart VVVV—National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Boat Manufacturing
- eCFR Subpart VVVV—National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Boat Manufacturing [PDF]
- 326 IAC 20-48 Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Boat Manufacturing (incorporates by reference 40 CFR 63, Subpart VVVV) [PDF]
- Initial Notification Form for FRP [PDF]
- National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants: Reinforced Plastic Composites Production - Implementation Documents
- Reinforced Plastic Composites NESHAP Applicability Flowchart [PDF]
- Boat Manufacturing: National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) - Implementation Documents
- Control Techniques Guidelines for Fiberglass Boat Manufacturing Materials
- Unified Emission Factors [PDF]
- Gelcoat Non-atomized Application Factors [PDF] (Table 1, 40 CFR 63, Subpart WWWW)
- Example Calculations for the Reinforced Plastic Composites Production NESHAP [PDF] (26 pp, 84 K, 12/2005)