Boating Infrastructure Grant (BIG)
The BIG program is designed to provide funding for the construction of transient dockage for recreational boats, 26 feet or more in length, so that they may enjoy recreational opportunities and safe harbors. The BIG program achieves the following goals:
- Enhancing access to recreational, historic, cultural and scenic resources;
- Strengthening community ties and economic benefits;
- Promoting public/private partnerships and entrepreneurial opportunities;
- Providing continuity of public access to the shore; and,
- Promoting awareness of transient boating opportunities.
What is "transient"?
Transient is defined in the Federal Register, Volume 66, Subpart A, Section 86.12 as: "passing through or by a place, staying 10 days or less."