Manufacturers of video display devices (VDDs) (televisions, computer monitors, laptops, netbooks, notebooks, tablet computers, and e-readers that contain a cathode ray tube (CRT) or flat panel screen with a screen size that is greater than four inches measured diagonally) are responsible for collecting and recycling or arranging for the collection and recycling of 60% by weight of the VDDs they manufacture and sell to Indiana households. Manufacturers are able to count the recycling of a variety of electronics (referred to as covered electronic devices [CEDs]) from covered entities (households, small businesses, public schools, and charter schools in Indiana) toward their recycling obligation.
Please review the Indiana E-Cycle Manufacturers Fact Sheet (available on the IDEM Fact Sheets page) for detailed information about manufacturers’ responsibilities under the Indiana E-Waste Law.
The obligation for pounds of CEDs that must be collected and recycled each year is based on the amount (in pounds) of VDDs sold to Indiana households during the previous program year.
Collection and Recycling Efforts
The law does not specify collection or recycling methods for manufacturers. Available options include:
- Contracts with local collectors/recyclers;
- Partnerships with other entities; and,
- Manufacturer mail back programs.
Manufacturers receive an incentive for utilizing recycling facilities located in Indiana (10% incentive) and for collecting CEDs in non-metropolitan counties in Indiana (50% incentive).
Manufacturers can only utilize collectors and recyclers that are registered with Indiana E-Cycle to fulfill their recycling obligation. This includes collectors and recyclers located outside of Indiana as well as manufacturer mail back programs.
- List of Indiana E-Cycle Registered Collectors by County [PDF]
- List of Indiana E-Cycle Registered Recyclers [PDF]
If you have questions regarding a specific collector or recycler, please contact IDEM’s Office of Program Support at (800) 988-7901 or email email@example.com.
A manufacturer must submit a registration to IDEM no later than 20 days after the date the manufacturer begins to sell, or offer for sale, video display devices (VDDs) to Indiana households. A manufacturer may not sell, offer for sale, or deliver to a retailer for subsequent sale, VDDs in Indiana if they have not registered with IDEM. Manufacturers will have the option to complete a new online reporting form, as opposed to submitting paper forms, for 2017.
- List of Registered Manufacturers and Brands (Sorted by Manufacturer) [PDF]
- List of Registered Manufacturers and Brands (Sorted by Brand) [PDF]
Online Registration And Reporting System
Manufacturers subject to the requirements of the Indiana E-Waste Law must register annually and will have the option to complete a new online reporting form, as opposed to submitting paper forms. This new online report will be due by March 1, 2017. By switching to this new online reporting format, participants will have the opportunity to register for the current year and submit the annual report for the previous calendar year at the same time. In addition, the new online reporting system will carry data over from year-to-year, auto-populate numerical fields, and allow participants to save an incomplete report and return to it later. Manufacturers can access this online report from IDEM’s Re-TRAC portal. The Manufacturer Reporting Guidance [PDF] provides an overview and step-by-step instructions on how to complete the online reports.
Paper Registration Format
If you choose to renew your registration for 2017 using the current paper format, the Indiana E-Cycle Manufacturer Registration form is due by January 1, 2017.
- Indiana E-Cycle Manufacturer Registration - State Form 54198 (available on the IDEM Forms page under Office of Program Support, in the Indiana E-Cycle section)
Manufacturer annual reports are due each year for the previous program year. This annual report is included with the new online registration and reporting system and is due March 1, 2017, as discussed above. However, if you choose to complete the annual report for 2016 using the current paper format, the form is due by June 1, 2017.
- Indiana E-Cycle Manufacturer Annual Report – State Form 54534 (available on the IDEM Forms page under Office of Program Support, in the Indiana E-Cycle section)
Manufacturers that fail to meet their 60% by weight recycling obligation are subject to a variable recycling fee per pound of shortfall.
- The fee is calculated as follows:
- Forty cents per pound of shortfall for manufacturers that recycle less than 50 percent of their goal.
- Thirty cents per pound of shortfall for manufacturers that recycle at least 50 percent, but less than 90 percent, of their goal.
- Twenty cents per pound of shortfall for manufacturers that recycle at least 90 percent of their goal.
- Manufacturers that sold less than 100 VDDs to Indiana households, as reported on their registration form, are not subject to the variable recycling fee.
- IDEM provides a statement to each manufacturer subject to a variable recycling fee by each September 1.
- Manufacturers may petition the Recycling Market Development Board for relief from the variable recycling fee.
- Petitions must be received within 60 days of the date the fee statement was provided to the manufacturer.
- Covered Electronic Device (CED): a computer, fax machine, DVD player (including gaming systems that can play DVDs), video cassette recorder, digital photo frame, digital media player, MP3 player, camcorder, camera, DVR, portable GPS navigation system, video display device, or peripheral (including keyboards, mice, external hard drives, and printers) that is sold to a covered entity by means of retailer, wholesale or electronic commerce. An all-in-one printer/scanner/copier or a projector can be considered a peripheral if the item is designed exclusively for external use with a computer.
- Covered Entity: a household, a public school (preschool, elementary school, or high school, including charter schools), or a small business (a business that is independently owned and operated with no more than one hundred employees and average annual gross receipts of $10,000,000 or less).
- Manufacturer: a person that:
- manufactures VDDs to be sold under the person’s own brand or a brand the person licenses as identified by the person’s own brand label or the brand label the person licenses;
- sells VDDs manufactured by others under the person’s own brand or a brand the person licenses as identified by the person’s own brand label or the brand label the person licenses; or,
- assumes the responsibilities and obligations of a manufacturer.
- Video Display Device (VDD): a television or computer monitor, including a laptop computer, netbook, notebook, tablet computer, or e-reader, that contains a cathode ray tube or flat panel screen with a screen size that is greater than four inches measured diagonally and is marketed by a manufacturer for use by covered entities.