IDEM has developed a retailer toolkit [PDF] to assist retailers in complying with the Indiana E-Waste Law.
As part of Indiana’s e-waste program, known as Indiana E-Cycle, manufacturers of video display devices (VDDs) must register with the state of Indiana. Under the law, only registered VDD brands can be sold to Indiana households.
Retailers are responsible for knowing which brands of video display devices are registered with Indiana E-Cycle.
Retailers that sell new video display devices to households must provide customers information that describes where and how VDDs may be recycled and that advises of opportunities and locations for the convenient collection of VDDs for recycling. Retailers can comply with this regulation by providing IDEM’s contact information or website address to customers.
- List of Registered Manufacturers and Brands (Sorted by Manufacturer) [PDF]
- List of Registered Manufacturers and Brands (Sorted by Brand) [PDF]
Requirement to Provide Information
- IDEM’s Office of Program Support: (800) 988-7901
- 2016 List of Indiana E-Cycle Registered Collectors by County [PDF]
- Manufacturer: a person that:
- manufactures VDDs to be sold under the person’s own brand or a brand the person licenses as identified by the person’s own brand label or the brand label the person licenses;
- sells VDDs manufactured by others under the person’s own brand or a brand the person licenses as identified by the person’s own brand label or the brand label the person licenses; or,
- assumes the responsibilities and obligations of a manufacturer.
- Retailer: a person that sells, rents, or leases, through sales outlets, catalogs, or the Internet, a video display device to a covered entity and not for resale in any form.
- Video Display Device (VDD): a television or computer monitor, including a laptop computer, netbook, notebook, tablet computer, or e-reader, that contains a cathode ray tube or flat panel screen with a screen size that is greater than four (4) inches measured diagonally and is marketed by a manufacturer for use by covered entities.