Putnamville Correctional Facility History
Copy of Main
The Putnamville Correctional Facility, originally known as the Indiana State Farm, was authorized by the General Assembly on March 13, 1913, as a minimum security, misdemeanant work camp. Construction began in 1914, and on April 12, 1915, the facility began receiving court ordered misdemeanant offenders.
In 1977, the facility was reclassified from minimum to medium security and began receiving convicted felons. Since its inception, the population has expanded from 1,650 to 2,504. Originally comprised of 3,500 acres, in 2009, 917 acres were allocated to the Department of Natural Resource.
The Putnamville Correctional Facility is the first of the older IDOC facilities to be accredited by the American Correctional Association and the recipient of several environmental awards: 2010 Organization of the Year by the Hoosier Environmental Council for Green Initiatives; 2011 Secretary of Defense Freedom Award and Above and Beyond Award in support of the National Guard and Reserves; and, the 2011 Trees Inc. Recycling and Sustainability Award.