Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
An independent adjuste shall maintain a copy of each contract with an insurer or a self insurer and comply withthe record retention policy agreed to in the contract.
Duties and Responsibilities
An independent adjuster shall do all of the following:
(1) Be honest and fair in all communications with an insured, an insurer, a self-insurer, and the public.
(2) Give policyholders and claimants prompt and knowledgeable service and courteous, fair, and objective treatment.
(3) Refrain from giving legal advice; or dealing directly with a policyholder or claimant who is represented by legal counsel unless the legal counsel consents to the direct contact.
(4) Comply with all local, state and federal privacy and information security laws.
(5) Identify the independent adjuster's self as an independent adjuster; and if applicable, the independent adjuster's employer when dealing with a policyholder or claimant.
(6) Refrain from having any financial interest in an adjustment; or acquiring, for the independent adjuster or any person, an interest or a title in salvage without first receiving written authority from the principal.
(7) An independent adjuster shall report to the commissioner an administrative action taken against the independent adjuster in another jurisdiction, or by another governmental agency in Indiana not more than thirty (30) days after the final disposition of the matter. The report must include a copy of the order or consent order, and any other relevant documentation.
(8) An independent adjuster shall report to the commissioner any criminal action taken against the independent adjuster in another jurisdiction or by another governmental agency in Indiana not more than thirty (30) days after the final disposition of the criminal matter. The report must include a copy of the initial complaint filed, the final order issued by the court, and any other relevant documentation.