- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
  • HIP_2_0_widget
  • widget1
  • widget2
  • widget3
  • widget4

Indiana Department of Insurance

IDOI > Licensing > Resident Adjuster Licensing > Resident Independent Adjuster Licensing Requirements Resident Independent Adjuster Licensing Requirements

Resident Independent Adjuster Licensing Requirements

An Independent Adjuster works on a contract basis for an insurance carrier doing direct adjudication of claims. Indiana does not require licensure for staff adjusters.

Licensing Requirements

Indiana residents desiring an independent adjuster license must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be eligible to designate Indiana as the individual's home state
  • Be determined to be trustworthy, reliable, and of good reputation
  • Not have committed any act that is a ground for denial, suspension or revocation of a license
  • Have successfully completed a 40 hour pre-licensing education program (searchable at under "Lookup Education Courses...")  
  • Have successfully completed the written or online Independent Adjuster examination (Link to Page
  • Submit the appropriate forms, application, and nonrefundable fees for the desired license.

The license fee for a resident is $40.00.  There is an electronic processing fee.

Back to top

Written Consent for Persons Prohibited Under 18 USC 1033

The Federal Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 ( 18 U.S.C. 1033, 1034) contains a provision prohibiting any person who has been convicted of a felony involving dishonesty or breach of trust from participating in the business of insurance without receiving specific written consent from the appropriate state insurance regulatory official. In the case of insurance adjusters, written consent is obtained from the insurance regulatory official in producer's resident state.

The decision of whether or not to grant written consent is determined on a case-by case basis after a review of all relevant factors.

If a license applicant has a background history that may require written consent, the applicant should advise the Indiana  Department of Insurance Agent Licensing Division. If the applicant is unsure if written consent is required, consult the Department's Agent Licensing Division. If necessary to evaluate the situation , the applicant will be directed to complete the 1033 forms.

Although sponsorship from an insurer is not a requirement, the application for written consent does require identification of a present or proposed employer , a scope of the employment and an affidavit from the employer outlining the job duties and responsibilities that will be performed and that it is the opinion of the employer that the performance of these responsibilities does not constitute a threat to the public.

Back to top

Exam Contents Study Material

The Examination Content Outlines were developed to identify and classify the entry level knowledge that insurance adjusters need to properly serve their clients.

Test questions were researched and developed based on questions submitted to industry professionals in Indiana for review and approval. This process assures that the tests reflect content that you, as an entry-level adjuster, will need to know to properly perform your duties for the insurance-buying public.

  • Be certain that the study materials you use cover the topics in the outlines
  • IDOI does not specify an official study manual but provides a list of approved PE providers and the Examination Content Outline.
  • Providers of pre-licensing study courses select appropriate study materials, which (when combined with classroom lectures and discussion) should cover the material contained in the approved content outline.
  • You may obtain study material suggestions from insurance companies or  the adjusting company for which you plan to work.

Back to top

Pre-Licensing Resident Education Requirements

Forty (40) hours of pre-licensing education are required to provide an entry level knowledge about the products, services, duties and responsibilities of an independent adjuster when working with the public. In addition, candidates must understand and comply with the Indiana statutes and rules affecting insurance and adjusting of claims. The pre-licensing education requirement must be meet before applying for a license.

Indiana Adjuster Pre-Licensing Course and Exam

A pre-licensing education Certificate of Completion will be issued by your pre-licensing school at the end of your course. You must pass your exam and apply for your license during this six-month period.

You must have proof of the Pre-licensing completion prior to taking the exam.  The exam is offered online at (Link to AdjusterPro page).

Back to top

Contracts, Duties and Responsibilities of an Independent Adjuster:

An independent adjuster shall maintain a copy of each contract with an insurer or a self-insurer and  comply with the record retention policy agreed to in the contract.

Duties and
An independent adjuster shall do all of the following:
(1) Be honest and fair in all communications with an insured, an insurer, a self-insurer, 
and the public.
(2) Give policyholders and claimants prompt and knowledgeable service and courteous, fair, and 
objective treatment.
(3) Refrain from giving legal advice; or dealing directly with a policyholder or claimant who is 
represented by legal counsel unless the legal counsel consents to the direct contact.
(4) Comply with all local, state, and federal privacy and information security laws.
(5) Identify the independent adjuster's self as an independent adjuster; and if applicable, the 
independent adjuster's employer when dealing with a policyholder or claimant.
(6) Refrain from having any financial interest in an adjustment; or acquiring, for the 
independent adjuster or any person, an interest or a title in salvage without first receiving written authority from the principal.
(7) An independent adjuster shall report to the commissioner an administratve action taken against the independent adjuster in another jurisdiction, or by another governmental agency in Indiana not more than thirty (30) days after the final disposition of the matter.  The report must include a copy of the order or consent order, and any other relevant documentation.
(8) An independent adjuster shall report to the commissioner any criminal action taken against the 
independent adjuster in another jurisdiction or by another governmental agency in Indiana not more than thirty (30) days after the final disposition of the criminal matter.  The report must include a copy of the initial complaint filed, the final order issues by the court, and any other relevant documentation.

Back to top

Persons Exempt From Holding an Adjuster License

(1) An attorney who is admitted to practice in Indiana; and acts in a professional capacity as an attorney.
(2) A person employed solely to obtain facts surrounding a claim and furnish technical assistance to a licensed independent adjuster.
(3) An individual who is an employee or an affiliate of a licensed independent adjuster.
(4) An individual who is supervised by a licensed independent adjuster or a licensed insurance producer licensed under IC 27-1-15.6;
(5) An individual who supervises not more than twenty-five (25) persons described in this subdivision
(6) An individual who is employed solely to collect claim information from insureds or claimants; furnish claim information to insureds or claimants; or perform data entry into an automated claims adjudication system.
(7) An individual who is employed to investigate suspected fraudulent insurance claims, but who does not adjust losses or determine claim payments.
(8) A person that performs only executive, administrative, managerial, or clerical duties; and does not investigate, negotiate, or settle  claims with policyholders, claimants, or legal representatives of policyholders or claimants.
(9) A person that settles only reinsurance or subrogation claims.
(10) An officer, director, manager, or employee of an authorized insurer, a managing general agent, a surplus lines insurer, a risk retention group, or an attorney in fact of a reciprocal insurer.
(11) A manager of the United States branch of an alien insurer.
(12) A person that investigates, negotiates, or settles life, accident and health, annuity, or disability insurance claims.
(13) Under a self-insured arrangement, an individual who adjusts claims on behalf of the individual's employer.
(14) A licensed insurance producer, an attorney in fact of a reciprocal insurer, or a managing general agent of an insurer to whom claim authority has been granted by the insurer.
(15) A person that is authorized to adjust worker's compensation or disability claims under the authority of a third party administrator.
(16) A person that investigates, negotiates, or settles crop insurance claims.
(17) An individual who does not adjust losses or determine claim payments but is employed to use a specialized skill possessed by the individual to make a determination concerning an element of a claim that is used by an independent adjuster, or an adjuster who is directly employed by an insurer, in adjusting a loss or determining a claim payment.

If a resident independent adjuster's license terminates for any reason, the resident independent adjuster shall, not more than thirty (30) days after the resident adjuster license termination date, provide notice of the termination to the insurance commissioner of any state that has issued a nonresident independent adjuster license to the resident independent adjuster. If the termination results from a change of the resident independent adjuster's home state, the notice must specify the independent adjuster's previous home state address and new home state address.

Back to top