- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Insurance

Indiana Department of Insurance

IDOI > Licensing > Continuing Education > Information for Agents > Frequently Asked Producer CE Questions Frequently Asked Producer CE Questions


Q:  How many hours do I need to renew my license?
  An agent license with a major line of insurance requires 24 hours of CE every 2 years.  However, we suggest you click on "Look up education courses and credits" on and click on "check your transcript" to confirm how many CE hours are needed.

Q:  Do I need to complete the CE requirements if I am a non-resident?
  No.  A non-resident who has satisfied his/her home state's continuing education requirement is exempt.

Q:  Does my company renew my license once CE is complete?
No.  Companies renew appointments.  License renewal is the producer's responsibility and may be done online at either or

Q:  Must licensees take courses related to the lines of insurance they hold?
  No.  Licensees may take any approved course without regard to the type of license they hold.

Q:  Can I count the pre-licensing course I recently took for my CE requirements?
  No.  The course is not approved for CE credits, only pre-licensing.

Q:  Can extra credits earned from the previous year count for this year's renewal requirements?
  No.  Carryover credits are not allowed.

Q:  Can credits be earned while taking courses to obtain a professional designation be used for the bi-annual CE requirements?
  Yes, but only after the provider and the courses have been approved by the Indiana Department of Insurance and only if the course is completed after the producer has already received an insurance producer license.

Q:  Do I need to send my certificates of completion to the Indiana Department of Insurance?
  If you renew online, there is no need to send certificates to the Department;  however always keep your certificates on file.  Yes, if you are unable to renew online due to a CE discrepancy or upon a CE Audit, you may send certificates for verification.

Q:  Can the person who teaches the course receive the CE credits?
  Yes, instructors will receive the same number of credits as the individuals who take the course once in a renewal period.

Q:  Can I go to the website to look up how many CE credits I have?
  Yes,  The continuing education transcript is located under the link "look up education courses and credits".

Q:  Do I have to take 24 credits for my life & health license and 24 credits for my property & casualty license?
  No, you only have to submit the total number of credit hours required (24) no matter how many lines of authority you hold.

Q:  Can I take online CE courses?
Yes, if the provider and course is approved in Indiana.  Also, you must have a licensed insurance agent monitor while you take exams.

Q:  Can I take the same CE course two years in a row and receive credit?
  No.  You cannot receive credit for any course more than once in any CE reporting period.