- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana Department of Insurance

IDOI > Producer and Agency Licensing > Limited Lines Travel Insurance Limited Lines Travel Insurance


Limited lines travel insurance as defined in Indiana Code IC 27-1-15.6-2 means insurance that provides coverage for personal risks incident to planned travel. This includes coverage for interruption or cancellation of a trip or event, loss of baggage or personal effects, damage to accommodations or rental vehicles, and sickness, accident, disability, or death that occurs during travel.

The term does not include a major medical plan that provides comprehensive medical insurance for a traveler on a trip that lasts at least six (6) months, including a traveler who is an individual who works overseas as an expatriot or is deployed as a member of the military.

Limited lines travel insurance producer as defined in Indiana Code IC 27-1-15.6-2 means a person designated by an insurer to sell, solicit, or negotiate limited lines insurance. The term includes a managing general underwriter, a managing general agent, and a limited lines producer.

Licensing Requirements

Limited Lines Travel Insurance Producer License Required

A limited lines travel insurance retailer, the travel retailer’s employees, and authorized representatives may offer and deliver a travel insurance policy if the travel insurance policy is offered and delivered under a limited lines travel insurance producer license that is issued to a business entity under Indiana Code IC 27-1-15.6-19.7.

A business entity that holds a limited lines travel insurance producer license may register as a travel retailer to offer and deliver a travel insurance policy if the business entity is clearly identified as the limited lines travel insurance producer, including the business entity’s name and contact information, on all marketing materials and information delivered to customers by the travel retailer.

A business entity must also designate an individual employee who is licensed as an insurance producer to be responsible for the business entity’s compliance with the insurance laws of the state.

Training Requirements

As with other limited lines license types an insurer that sells, solicits, or negotiates any form of limited line travel insurance shall provide a program of instruction approved by the commissioner to each individual whose duties will include selling, soliciting, or negotiating limited lines travel insurance.

Application for limited lines travel insurance license

A business entity or individual shall apply for a limited lines producer license by completing the electronic Business Entity or Individual application found on the Sircon website:


A Resident individual or business entity license is $40.00.

A Nonresident individual or business entity license is $90.00.