Investigate Abuse & Neglect
What does the Indiana Disability Rights Abuse and Neglect Team do?
- We conduct investigations into allegations of abuse, neglect, and exploitation
- We provide information and training on the topics of abuse, neglect, and exploitation
- We monitor facilities, such as group homes, workshops, nursing homes, psychiatric residential treatment facilities (PRTF), and mental health facilities, for signs of abuse, neglect, and exploitation
- We teach self-advocacy skills
What is abuse, neglect and exploitation?**
**The following are examples of each type, not meant to be an exhaustive list.
- Physical abuse:
o Kicking, hitting, pushing, pinching
o Force-feeding or intentionally burning people
o Excessive force during a restraint
- Verbal abuse:
o Yelling, swearing, or demeaning a person
o Threats to withhold food, care, or activities
- Sexual abuse:
o Unwanted or inappropriate touching
o Coercion to perform sex acts
o Forced to observe or participate in pornography
o Lack of personal care/hygiene
o Lack of appropriate supervision to ensure health and safety
o Lack of appropriate food or hydration
o Using a person’s belongings without permission
o Using a person’s money for themselves; “borrowing”
o Knowingly taking advantage of a person for money or other items
Where does Indiana Disability Rights investigate?
Group homes, schools, workshops, mental health facilities, and nursing homes or anywhere that serves a person with a disability.
How do I report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation?
- CALL 911 IF THE PERSON BEING ABUSED IS IN IMMEDIATE DANGER.
INDIANA DISABILITY RIGHTS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY RESPONDER!
- Report the situation to the appropriate supervisor.
Child Protective Services Hotline (ages birth to17 years): 800.800.5556
Adult Protective Services Hotline (ages 18 and older): 800.992.6978
- Call Indiana Disability Rights: 800.622.4845 -or- TTY: 800.838.1131 -or- click the link at the bottom of this page.
What can I do?
- Know the signs of abuse and neglect. For more information, click here for a resource guide on abuse.
- Know how to report abuse .
- Call Indiana Disability Rights for help. You can reach us by calling 800.622.4845 or TTY 800.838.1131 -or-