Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Energy Assistance Program Description

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) provides financial assistance to low-income households to maintain utility services during the winter heating months. The program is implemented through the Community Action Agencies with outreach offices in every county. These agencies provide intake application process and utility vendor payments. Interested? Please contact the Community Action Agency in your area to learn about the appropriate funds available from Energy Assistance Program and the technical aspects of submitting the application. A site visit will be competed to assess the ability to meet the requirements. 

Click here to contact the EAP provider in your area.

November 1, 2016 - Winter Assistance begins at local agencies

December 1, 2016 - Clients with active service and have approved EAP applications are protected from disconnection through March 15, 2016

March 15, 2017 - Moratorium Protection ends; utility companies will begin disconnecting services that are not current

May 12, 2017 - Winter benefit ends; last day for clients to apply or complete a pending application

June 5, 2017 - Summer Program activities begin, if funds are available

August 11, 2017 - Summer Program ends

Energy Assistance Program - Things to Remember

Indiana Home Energy Assistance Program

The Indiana Home Energy Assistance Program, commonly known as State EAP, began on October 1, 2012. This program is funded by the multi-state mortgage settlement through the Attorney General’s Office. This program will provide homeowners with utility and crisis assistance toward their primary heating source.

Eligible Clients

This program is for homeowners only. These homeowners are at or below 150% of the federal poverty level. They must be approved at a local agency through the mail-in process or by appointment. Eligible EAP clients will automatically receive assistance through this program. No other application is needed.



Each homeowner will receive $60 toward the primary heating source, as well as assistance with deposits, reconnect fees, or disconnections not covered by the federal program.

How to Apply

Potential applicants may apply for both the State and Federal Energy Assistance Programs.  Please contact the Community Action Agency in your area to learn how to apply.

For an Energy Assistance application click here and call.

Click here for an Energy Assistance Application Checklist

Application for winter heating assistance starts:

Agencies will mail applications to households with disabled individuals or individuals age 60 and over starting September 1. Agencies will begin taking appointments on November 1st.

Clients in need of crisis assistance should notify the agency immediately. A crisis is defined having a disconnected utility, received a notice for disconnection, or out of bulk fuel.

Application for summer cooling assistance starts:

If funding is available, agencies will automatically send a payment to all eligible winter clients between the months of June and August. All other clients may walk-in for an appointment on or after July 1st.

Requirements to Receive Energy Assistance

Income- Households may qualify if their income does not exceed 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, as an example, $36,450 for a household of four. All household residents age 18 and over must provide proof of earned and unearned income for 12 months.

Utilities- The household must have an active account and have the utilities listed in the name of a household resident age 18 or over, legal power of attorney or landlord. All applicants must provide the most recent utility bill for the primary heating and electric sources.

Proof of Residence- The household must provide a current lease or be willing to acquire a signed landlord affidavit.

Social Security Number Verification- Each household resident age one (1) and over must have proof of a valid social security number, given by the Social Security Administration

Other Utility Assistance

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program does not provide assistance for other utilities like water. Residents should contact the following:

Lower your energy usage in your home:

For more about reducing your energy costs, visit the following utility websites.

Citizens Energy Group
You may also sign up for a free energy efficiency kit at
Indianapolis Power and Light
Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO)
Indiana Michigan Power (also known as AEP)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can the utility company shut off my energy?

Any household who has qualified for EAP on or after October 1st cannot have its service disconnected between December 1 and March 15. A “qualified” household is defined as a household that has submitted a complete application to its local CAA or designee, and a staff person at that agency has determined or is determining that eligibility meets the program requirements based on household income, number of household members, and utility bills.

If your utilities are electric or gas, including a municipally owned, privately owned, or cooperatively owned utility, then they qualify as a “utility” for the purposes of the moratorium law.  The definition of “municipally owned utility” means every utility owned or operated by any city or town in Indiana.

If your utilities are past due before December 1 or after March 15, your services may be disconnected.

Households serviced by bulk fuel vendors are not eligible for moratorium protection.

If I owe money for my electric bill, can I still apply for Energy Assistance?

As long as your application meets the current program requirements, you may qualify for energy assistance. EAP funds will not pay for a closed account or debt older than one year. If your EAP benefit with crisis assistance does not prevent a disconnection or will not reactivate service, you may be asked to make a payment to ensure that service is active after EAP assistance.

Can you help me pay off my debt to the energy company?

Energy Assistance is not a debt reduction or elimination program.

Do you provide new furnaces or air conditioners in homes?

During the Summer Cooling Assistance Program, agencies will distribute air conditioners to clients who meet the following requirements.

1.      The household must be financially eligible for the program as described above; and,


2.      The household must have a verified medical requirement for an air conditioner.  That is, a statement from a doctor or nurse practitioner that indicates a medical condition of a household member justifies the need for an air conditioner and that the lack of a room air conditioner in the household may seriously jeopardize the health of that person.  IHCDA has updated an Air Conditioner Certification Affidavit.  It must be completed and signed in order to qualify for this benefit; and


3.      Using EAP program definitions, the household must be classified as at-risk: elderly, disabled, or have a child under the age of 6.


Clients may receive a furnace through the weatherization assistance program.

What is weatherization and how do I apply for it?

Clients, whose income does not exceed 150 percent of the federal poverty level, are referred from the Energy Assistance Program to the Weatherization Program. Clients that exceed EAP’s income limits must apply directly through Weatherization Assistance.


What if only one of my utilities meets the requirements?

Current program rules require utilities to be listed in the name of a household resident, age 18 or over. If one utility does not meet the program requirements, the client will be ineligible for assistance on that utility until the program rules are met. The client will receive assistance toward the utility that meets the program requirements.    


Does your program help pay for utility deposits and reconnect fees?

If funding is available, local agencies may assist with utility deposits and reconnections.


How long does the program run?

Community Action Agencies will begin providing assistance starting November 1st .

The Cooling Assistance Program will operate from approximately June 3rd through the end of August.


Can I get a benefit more than once in a program year?

Energy Assistance is offered as a benefit once in the winter and once in the summer (if funds are available after May 12).

Report problems receiving assistance:

First, you should contact your local service provider and confirm that you have not received energy assistance. Please note that payments may take at least 60 days to process.   

If you still are having problems with energy assistance or the application, please contact IHCDA at (800) 872-0371

Appeal a denial of energy assistance from my Community Action Agency:

To appeal an EAP denial, the client should send a written request to the agency’s Executive Director. The agency will have ten (10) days to respond to the request.

If the denial was upheld by the Executive Director, then the client must send a written request to the CSBG and EAP Program Manager at IHCDA.

Community Programs Department

Att: EAP Appeal

30 S. Meridian, Suite 1000

Indianapolis, IN 46204