Statewide Celebration for the 40th Anniversary of the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA), who administers the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) in Indiana, hosted a Statewide Celebration to commemorate the 40-year anniversary of the program last week. The celebration included remarks from local, state and federal representatives working on the WAP. Additionally, individuals were honored for their contributions to the program in Indiana.
“We are fortunate to have an outstanding network of Weatherization Service Providers that weatherize homes year round throughout Indiana," said Jacob Sipe, Executive Director at IHCDA. "Their hard work and commitment has allowed us to provide energy and cost savings to thousands of low-income Hoosiers over the past 40 years."
The WAP provides energy conservation measures to reduce utility bills of low-income Hoosiers across the state. In the 40 years since the WAP was created, more than 150,000 low-income Hoosier households have been weatherized providing millions of dollars in annual, reoccurring cost savings.
At the Statewide Celebration, staff from the Weatherization Service Providers joined IHCDA and representatives from the National Association For State Community Services Programs (NASCSP), the Department of Energy (DOE) and the Indiana Community Action Association (INCAA) to recognize the importance and history of the WAP.
Also at the program, IHCDA honored 11 individuals for the service on Indiana's WAP. Each person has worked in the program for at least 30 years. They are:
- Donna Collier, Area IV Agency on Aging and Community Action Programs
- Mike Devour, Area IV Agency on Aging and Community Action Programs
- Randy Dunfee, Western Indiana Community Action Agency
- Andy Higginbotham, Western Indiana Community Action Agency
- Rocky Walton, Southern Indiana Economic Opportunities Corporation
- Jay Lincoln, Lincoln Hills Development Corporation
- Mike Pifer, Indiana Community Action Association
- Dan Hartman, Indiana Community Action Association
- Steve Nall, Indiana Community Action Association
- Ed Gerardot, Indiana Community Action Association
- Dave Heichelbeck, Tri-CAP