A request to conduct a Pre-Basic Course must be submitted one week prior to the intended start date.
The Pre-Basic Course is no longer available as a self-study course. Each topic in the curriculum must now be presented using the provided online materials by an LETB certified instructor.
Any other materials that were previously available for download from the Academy website are now invalid and cannot be use for this course.
To gain access to the current materials you must submit your request to conduct a Pre-Basic course to Lt. Lance Burris with the following information on Department Letterhead via U.S. Mail. (See New Pre-Basic Procedures below)
- When the class will be held, include starting and ending dates.
- Where the class will be held.
- Who is the lead instructor?
- Lead instructor's LETB certified instructor number.
- How many students in the class.
- A secured email address
- Instructor's PS ID number
If Lt. Burris finds your request complete and you are eligible to conduct the course, he will forward to your email an approval, with instruction on how to conduct the course.
(Effective July 1, 2017)
- A Department wanting to conduct a pre-basic course will mail a request letter, on department letterhead, with the required information listed as per the Academy website currently being conducted. (See Pre-Basic Instructions.) A departmental check attached for the amount of $50.00 per student.
- A Department will lists student’s names so that we will know who is being trained and the number of students by attaching a Course Roster.
- The incoming letter will be received by the front office and date stamped.
- The front office will remove the check and keep a copy of the check and deposit record.
- The front office will signify by date stamping the letter and indicating the check number.
- Lt. Burris will then know that he has been authorized to send the requesting department the pre-basic program.
- Once the program is completed, the department will send to the Academy the Affidavit of Completion for the student(s) listed on the roster.
- This Affidavit will be checked against the names on the original roster for accuracy.
- This roster will be retained should any additional Affidavits of Completion from that department are received.
- The department will forward another roster in case additional students are added to their class along with a check for the additional students. This will be kept with the original roster.
- Should the department require an ILEA invoice, they can contact Lori Sipos at email@example.com or call her at 317-837-3232.
- The Pre-Basic Course is to be completed within 60 days and the Affidavit of Completion must be submitted to the ILEA 30 days after the completion of the course.
Because the Academy is using a new platform for presenting the Pre-basic Course, the email you will receive to gain access through the Acadis portal looks different than the previous “webinar” email from the Academy.
Please be alert for an email with the “From” box reading:
Indiana Public Safety Personnel Portal Admin [firstname.lastname@example.org]
The “Subject” line on the email will read:
Indiana Public Safety Portal Welcome Inf
Upon completion of the course:
- Destroy all testing materials; examinations and answer keys.
- Make two copies of the Affidavit of Completion then:
- Give the original to the student.
- Retain one copy in your department records.
- Send a copy to the academy via email or U.S. Mail.
If you have any questions about these options, you may contact Lt. Lance M. Burris at (317) 837-3265, (email@example.com), or mail to P.O. Box 313, Plainfield, IN 46168.
Remember, the student has not completed the course until the Affidavit has been submitted to the Academy
Thank you for your continued support and help in training Indiana Police Officers.