Ecology & Waterway Permitting
The Ecology and Waterway Permitting Office evaluates project impacts to waterways and natural habitats by ensuring INDOT is compliant with environmental laws and regulations.
Ecology and Waterway Permitting is responsible for the following services:
- Develops and/or reviews all stream and wetland mitigation proposals associated with INDOT projects
- Conducts field work and prepares various biological reports including Waters of the U.S. determinations, wetland delineations, and habitat evaluation studies.
- Coordinates and reviews studies for Karst and endangered species.
- Ensures compliance with various laws and memorandums of agreement with state and federal agencies.
- Determines the appropriate type and level of waterway permitting needed
- Develops, reviews, and processes waterway permits
- Coordinates permits with the appropriate regulatory agencies (USACE, EPA, IDEM, IDNR, etc)
- Prepares various types of permit applications in conjunction with project designers
- Performs site visits to ensure INDOT permit compliance
- Develops mitigation designs, vegetation plans, and landscape review and development of landscape plans.
Waterway Permit Manual
- Chapter 1 - Introduction to Waterway Permitting (Updated 02/19/2015)
- Chapter 2 - Waterway Permitting (Updated 02/19/2015)
- Chapter 3 - United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) (Updated 02/19/2015)
- Chapter 4 - United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Permitting (Updated 02/19/2015)
- Chapter 5 - United States Coast Guard (USCG) Permitting (Updated 02/19/2015)
- Chapter 6 - Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) Permitting (Updated 02/19/2015)
- Chapter 7 - Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Permitting (Updated 02/19/2015)
- Chapter 8 - County Regulated Drain Permits (Updated 02/19/2015)
Ecology and Waterway Links
- 2016 Waters Report - Wetland Delineation Checklist
- Storm Water
- Approved List of Wetland Delineators for INDOT Project Contractors
- Map of Ecology & Waterway Permitting Staff Areas
- 2014 Ecology and Waterway Permitting Training for Project Managers
- 2014 Waterway & Permitting Training for Project Engineers/Supervisors
- Volunteer Mitigation Mapping Website
Manager-Ecology & Permits
Indiana Department of Transportation
100 N. Senate Ave. IGCN 642
Indianapolis, IN 46204