Operation Indy Commute is a new initiative by INDOT to strategically open up recurring commuting bottlenecks in the Indianapolis metropolitan area. The program is modeled after successful, quick-turnaround traffic flow improvements built in other states under the Federal Highway Administration’s Localized Bottleneck Reduction Program.
Several improvements are intended to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion at I-65 and I-465 on the southeast side of Indianapolis:
- Replace the I-465 westbound to I-65 southbound loop ramp with a new two-lane flyover ramp
- Rebuild the I-465 eastbound to I-65 southbound ramp on a new alignment to accommodate the new flyover ramp
- Widen the northbound I-65 to eastbound I-465 ramp to two lanes
- Widen and rebuild the shoulders for both directions of I-465 between I-65 and Emerson Avenue to provide additional passing and ramp/merge lanes
- Widen and rebuild the right shoulder of I-65 northbound and southbound between I-465 and Southport Road to provide a new ramp/merge lanes
- Replace the Sherman Drive bridge to allow more lanes of I-465 below
View live Operation Indy Commute construction photos.
Impacts to Traffic
During construction, traffic will be maintained on the existing I-65 and I-465 ramps until improvements are completed. During peak commuting times, three lanes will be maintained in each direction for both I-65 and I-465. Occasional lane closures may be required at night and other off-peak times.
Meetings & Hearings
Subscribe to receive project updates via email and/or text message
. Updates will also be provided on the Indiana Department of Transportation: East Central
Facebook page and on Twitter
Related Documents & Links
Greenfield District Customer Service
Indiana Department of Transportation
32 South Broadway
Greenfield, IN 46140