Pursuant to IC 5-22-22-4.5, IOT is required to approve the use of Internet auction sites for the sale of "personal property" by a "governmental body" in Indiana. (For a list of property exempt from this requirement, see IC 5-22-22-1. Other laws may apply. Consult counsel if necessary.)
IC 5-22-22-4.5, provides:
- The purchasing agency may sell surplus property using an Internet auction site that satisfies both of the following:
- The site is approved by the Office of Technology established by IC 4-13.1-2-1.
- The site is linked to the electronic gateway administered under IC 4-13.1-2-2(a)(5) by the Office of Technology.
- The purchasing agency's posting of the sale on the Internet auction site must include a detailed description of the surplus property to be sold.
- The purchasing agency may pay the costs of conducting the auction on the Internet site as required by the person maintaining the auction site.
Before requesting that IOT review a site, please review the four step process below, which IOT will use to review the site you request. When IOT reviews a site, it will do so without review of other laws. It is incumbent upon the requestor to ensure that the IC 5-22-22-4.5 is applicable and that the requestor complies with all other laws.
In its review, IOT considers the following factors:
- Is the requested site a logical place for the sale of the type of personal property the requestor intends to sell and is property for sale likely to be found by a potential buyers on that site? (If not, the intent of the General Assembly to promote access and competition is unlikely to be served; so, the site must be an auction site.)
- Has the site successfully transmitted money to another user upon the sale of an item? (Were there any problems with any transaction?)
- Is there an audit trail to be able to see the details of each transaction?
- Is there any reason at a user would not recommend this site to another person?
Approved and rejected sites are listed below. Please review those lists before submitting a request. To request review of a site, please contact us.
These sites have already been approved for use. If you choose to use one of these sites, you may proceed without submitting a request to IOT.
At this time, no site has been rejected.