Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma
Contains comprehensive guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. The guidelines emphasize the importance of asthma control and introduce new approaches for monitoring asthma.
Continuing Education and Training
- Spirometry Training
This spirometry training course is designed especially for healthcare professionals who have the responsibility to administer and implement the spirometry test and primary care providers who will be interpreting the results to assist with diagnosis and disease management.
The training will be held on May 4 at a to-be-determined location in the Indianapolis area. The training will begin at 8:30 AM (ET).
Please register here: Indiana Spirometry Registration
- Asthma Educator Institute
The Asthma Educator Institute is a two-day course to teach healthcare professionals how to help asthma patients manage their illness. The curriculum covers the content outlined in the National Asthma Educator Certification Board (NAECB) Candidate Handbook for those taking the Certified Asthma Educator (AE-C) exam and includes case reviews, hands-on skills demonstration and practice
Learn more about the Asthma Educator Institute and sign up here
ONLINE Resource for Healthcare Providers
- Printable Asthma Medication Poster Developed by the Minnesota Department of Health, these posters were designed as a tool for providers, to assist patients in proper identification of their inhaled asthma medication. Posters contain the a photo, generic and brand name, delivery of dose, and manufactures' name for all inhaled medication commonly prescribed in the US.
A set of simple tools developed by the Michigan Department of Community Health to assist healthcare providers in making treatment decisions for their asthma patients.
The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) has created an online continuing education program to assist primary care providers with implementation of asthma guidelines.
The Center of Disease Control and Prevention has added a video where Dr. David Callahan outlines how clinicians can provide evidence-based care for patients with asthma in a 15-minute office visit. To find video click link and scroll all the way down to videos where you will find the 15-Minute Asthma Visit video.
The CDC is partnering with health care purchasers, payers, and providers to improve health and control health care costs. CDC provides these partners with rigorous evidence about high-burden health conditions and associated interventions to inform their decisions to have the greatest health and cost impact. This initiative aligns evidence-based preventive practices with emerging value-based payment and delivery models.
- ERO-3 Tutorial
- Asthma IQ- Specialist Practice Improvement Module
- Asthma IQ- Primary Care Practice Improvement Module
Resources for Providers
- Neighborhood Health Plan: Helping Patients with Asthma Breathe Easier
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Asthma Information for Healthcare Professionals
- Environmental Protection Agency: For Healthcare Professionals
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- National Asthma Control Initiative: Healthcare Professionals
- Supporting successful asthma management in schools: The role of asthma care providers
- The American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology
- American Academy of Family Physicians: Asthma
- American Association for Respiratory Care
- American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
- American Lung Association
- The Global Initiative for Asthma
- Asthma Alliance of Indianapolis: Information for Healthcare Professionals
- Indiana Joint Asthma Coalition