- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
  • hiv_widget1
  • hiv_widget2

Indiana State Department of Health

HIV/AIDS in Indiana > Frequently Asked Questions > HIV Disease HIV Disease

Q:  Where can I get tested for HIV Disease?

A:  A list of Indiana counseling and testing sites is listed by county on the Indiana State Department of Health HIV/STD Division Web site.


Q:  How can I get assistance to pay for my doctor’s appointments and/or medications?

A:  All applications for HIV Medical Services through the Indiana State Department of Health must come through care coordination services at a sanctioned HIV Care Coordination site.  There are  Care Coordination sites throughout Indiana or call us toll-free at 1-866-588-4948 and select option 1 or 2.


Q:  How often should I see my primary care/infectious disease provider to get my blood work done?

A:  The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends a person living with HIV Disease have their CD4 and viral load counts done every 3-4 months.  These lab tests are very important for managing your care and require a provider’s order.  However, your provider may want to see you more or less frequently depending on how HIV disease is impacting you specifically.  Remember, it is important to remain in contact with your provider on a regular basis.


Q:  My provider told me that now that my viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is above 350 that I no longer have AIDS; is this true?

A:  Not according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  Once a person has been diagnosed with AIDS, they retain the diagnosis of AIDS even when their health improves.


Q:  What is the best HIV screening test?

A:  EIA 1 / 2 combination; if the result is reactive, it should be followed by Western blot confirmation.  Viral load test is used sometimes.


Q:  Are there services available to help HIV infected people who have substance abuse issues?

A:  The HIV Special Populations Support Program at the Indiana State Department of Health provides intensive support services to individuals diagnosed with HIV disease and chemical dependency.  A listing of programs available can be found on the HIV/STD Division Web site.